Sharing folders, setting permissions and why is my share showing all my other files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visseroth

Guru
So I'm trying to setup separate shares or separate folders that will only be accessible per user or group but every time I setup a CIFS share and I open that share it sends me to the same available folders and files that my other share does.
I currently have two shares, home (home use) and users.
Under home I have things like Music, videos, ect.
Under users I want explicit permissions for a specific user or group but it opens up and I see my music, videos, ect.
Basically what I'm looking for is when I open up the path to my FN machine I want to see the available shares and if I open the home share I want to see my home stuff. If I open the users share I don't want to see my home stuff. As a matter of fact I don't want to be able to open it up if I haven't given myself permission to open it up. Just like, for example if john smith tried to open up the users share but he hasn't been given permission I want it to give him access denied and I'd like it to show separate files and folders. I'd like it to be a directory of its own with its own permissions.
Am I doing something wrong, am I going about this wrong?
My volume is /mnt/storage1. It is my only volume on a 17TB array (overkill? Maybe, maybe not)
My Current CIFS share is home as I removed the users share because it's sending me to the same place as my home share.
What am i doing wrong?

Edit: I might want to add that my home share mounts at /mnt/storage1 as was my users folder and that may be why I was seeing the same files but how else would you create your shares?

Visseroth

Guru
that was/is what I was looking for. Thanks a ton. I'm obviously a complete newbie but I have enough knowledge to figure this out and now have my share folders setup with user and group permissions set and am currently fine tuning permissions so that they work like they should.
Thank you for your reply, I'm going to continue to read that post now but I seriously wish there was a easier way to manage permissions besides using the command prompt, but I guess welcome to a linux/FreeBSD world. Probably need to learn it anyhow, :-D

ProtoSD

MVP
You should be able to do most of it using the GUI, but understanding how things happen at the command line can give you some extra flexibility. I learned most of this stuff 30 years ago when there were no GUI's ;-)

Visseroth

Guru
I don't know if I should call you lucky or feel sorry for you, none the less you have the upper hand, lol

ProtoSD

MVP
Definitely Lucky I think. There's definitely something cool about doing stuff from the command line, but a poorly designed GUI can be just as cryptic and hard to learn as poorly documented CLI's. With the GUI your stuck doing things the way the designer thinks things should be done, with the command line there are a multitude of different ways of doing things that all have their pros & cons.

Visseroth

Guru
Well you've done this for a while then. Can you point me to some good docs for teaching how to set permissions and using commands like chmod, chgrp, ect?

Visseroth

Guru
wow, excellent video, thanks, I'm taking notes now. Once I have these memorized this will make setting permissions WAY easier, lol. Thanks a ton!

Status
Not open for further replies.