RAID 10 on UFS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to create a RAID 10 array on UFS. The docs say this about the Volume Name:

"If an existing volume name is specified, the volume being created will be added to the existing volume as a stripe. This allows for complex volumes such as RAID 10, RAIDZ+0, and RAIDZ2+0."

I tried creating a mirrored UFS volume with the name "VOL", and then a second UFS mirrored volume with the name "VOL". When I tried creating the second mirror, though, I got this error:

"You already have a volume with same name."

What am I doing wrong?

boomer50

Cadet
I have read the manual and perused the forum and still cannot figure out how to create a RAID 10 array in FreeNAS 8.2. I even tried a zfs create pool, but cannot get the syntax correct.. Can anyone suggest how I could do this.

I need to setup a 4x500GB SATAII drives in a RAID10 for iSCSI and VMware.

Thanks
Randy

pingmonster

Dabbler
Create a first mirror set with 2 HDD, lets call the volume name "VOL"
Create a second mirror set with 2 HDD, give the same volume name as "VOL" and drop down "Volume to extend". You should see "VOL"
Once completed double check in "Volume Status"
You should see

- VOL
----mirror
------HDD0
------HDD1
----mirror
------HDD2
------HDD3

OldDude

Dabbler
Create a first mirror set with 2 HDD, lets call the volume name "VOL"
Create a second mirror set with 2 HDD, give the same volume name as "VOL" and drop down "Volume to extend". You should see "VOL"
Once completed double check in "Volume Status"
You should see

- VOL
----mirror
------HDD0
------HDD1
----mirror
------HDD2

------HDD3

Pingmonster, It's pretty obvious that you're assuming that what works for ZFS will work for UFS but this is not the case. I've been attempting the same thing since I've run afoul of ZFS inability to handle extended attributes while working with specific Windows applications.

Unfortunately, I'm finding that the documentation makes claims of being able to configure the system with RAID0, RAID1 and even RAID3 for a UFS system but never describes how to do it. I'm beginning to wonder if this portion of the documentation is a remnant of the older 7.x versions of FreeNAS.

As to your suggestion, the documentation specifically states (Section 6.3.4) that you cannot extend a UFS Volume.

If you configure a UFS volume, then enter the Volume Manager, the drop-down option to extend the volume is not provided... and if you try an create a second volume with the same name the message that is displayed is:
You must specify a new volume name or select an existing ZFS volume to append a virtual device

I've tried multiple different configurations with UFS and so far, the best I've been able to get has been a JBOD which is striped across 4 HDs (useless because it provides no failure protection) or 4 identically mirrored HDs which is a colossal waste of the hardware.

leenux_tux

Patron
Take a look here "http://www.zfsbuild.com/2010/06/03/howto-create-striped-mirror-vdev-pool/". This gives a reasonable description on how to create RAID 10 array, although this is ZFS and not UFS. I am looking at reconfiguring my whole system from RAIDZ to RAID10 as think I will get better I/O performance for the Virtual Machines I store on the system.

pingmonster

Dabbler
My bad...OldDude.
And you are 100% correct. I assumed UFS.

But I think I did use the same method on version 7.....

Status
Not open for further replies.