Sevices don't work after an update of the OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

NasKar

Guru
Am I doing something incorrectly that my DDNS, UPS (USB port changes) services don't work after an update of the OS and my plugin jail has to be manually started even though it is set to autostart? I have to turn off/on the DDNS service and add the password back in, change the USB port on the UPS service and manually turn on the plugin jail.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I doubt you did anything wrong and typically it all should work properly but maybe you could tell us what you were upgrading from and to vice letting us have the fun of guessing.

Vice waiting on your answer, you could perform a clean install of the new FreeNAS you are trying to upgrade to and then restore your configuration file, see if that works.

NasKar

Guru
Sorry for the lack of info I just thought it was a general question. I've done a fresh install when I went from 9.3 to 9.10 and have since upgraded to U2, U4 and now on U5. I thought that the need to manually restart the plugin jail was a bug and hoped it would get fixed with the next update. I'm not sure when the other problems started unfortunately. So you suggest doing a clean install or U5 and restore my config to fix. I guess I'll have to wait till U6 comes out to see if the problems are fixed.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Just so I understand you correctly, are you saying that you have had this problem each time you have upgraded? Or is it specific to the most recent upgrade of U4 to U5? I don't know of a bug reported like that but that doesn't mean there isn't one, or have you reported this as a bug? I also would not expect a U6 to come out unless there was a critical fix, it has already been advertised that 9.10.2 is done for development.

If this problem has persisted for you for a long time then there must be something off in the build. If it were me, I'd backup my data from the jails, perform a clean install, manually reconfigure everything (do not restore config file), and recreate my jails. But that is me. Also, I'd do this running FreeNAS 11 since it's been out for a while now and there have been no terrible issues with it. There is a FreeNAS 11-U1 and 11.1 coming out in the near future. Look here for more details.

NasKar

Guru
Just so I understand you correctly, are you saying that you have had this problem each time you have upgraded? Or is it specific to the most recent upgrade of U4 to U5?
Yes each time I upgrade I have the same issue.

I don't know of a bug reported like that but that doesn't mean there isn't one, or have you reported this as a bug?
Is it ok to report a bug even if you don't know that for sure? Just to be clear when you upgrade you don't have to restart any jails and your DDNS service still works?

If it were me, I'd backup my data from the jails, perform a clean install, manually reconfigure everything (do not restore config file), and recreate my jails. But that is me.
So your suggesting wiping out my HDDs and make like I just build the FreeNAS box? It took me a long time to get everything working, I'd be afraid of not getting it all setup again.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Is it ok to report a bug even if you don't know that for sure?
Yes.

Just to be clear when you upgrade you don't have to restart any jails and your DDNS service still works?
True statement. The upgrade will reboot FreeNAS and your system should come up normally.

So your suggesting wiping out my HDDs and make like I just build the FreeNAS box?
No! I'm suggesting you just delete your jails, not your pool. I don't know how many jails you have but I think this is the long term solution.

It took me a long time to get everything working, I'd be afraid of not getting it all setup again.
You should record all the setup info such as user account, IP addresses, all that stuff. Ensure that you have a backup of your configuration file and if all fails you could just restore it however if you delete your jails then that would not be restored of course. Also if you do this, ensure you delete the jails template as to force the newst version to download.

But if you would rather leave your system as-is, that is fine too and you could do this once you are ready for it. I was only suggestion options to fix the problem but it sounds like you are fine with manually starting your jails. Also, if you upgrade to FreeNAS 11, there is a possibility your jails will not work at all, just a note of caution.

Good luck with whichever path you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.