FreeNAS 11.3, UPS Connection Lost, Not Working?

MalVeauX

Contributor
Hey all,

I'm trying to set this UPS up on my FreeNAS box but I'm having trouble. I used the documentation to setup it up with basics and I picked a UPS based on the list of compatible ones.

I picked up a Tripp Lite 750VA (INTERNET750U) UPS. It was on the NUT list for the usbhid-ups driver.
Example this UPS: LINK

I plugged it into a free USB port (no other USB devices connected at all).

I went to Services -> UPS -> Configure, and I selected my exact model from the Driver* drop down menu and I selected the appropriate Port (for me, ugen1.3) after viewing what was connected on my USB via the shell commands. The rest is standard setup per documentation. The moment I enable the service, it gives me an alert saying that the connection to the UPS is lost.

Here's my USB devices and why I chose ugen1.3 for the Port (I think this is right?):

UPS_setup_02.jpg

Here's my setup in UPS configuration:

UPS_setup_01.jpg

Here's the alert:

Alert_LostConnection.jpg

Any ideas on how to further approach this? When I use the shell command to test the UPS it says error connection.

Cable issue?
Port issue?
Other?

Very best,

Last edited:

MalVeauX

Contributor
Hello,

Update, I have switched ports, and tried other drivers near this one. So far, nothing. Ideas?

Very best,

MalVeauX

Contributor
Hi all,

I tried swapping to a different cable just in case, and the results are the same. Connection lost the moment I enable UPS in Services.

Any thoughts on what else I can try? This is frustrating since it was on the list with NUT and all that.

Very best,

jlpellet

Patron
A few of things to try. First, change the monitor password to what you use for root. Second, try a very different driver that is listed as usbhid-ups (e.g., APC). Third, try each of the listed ports. Fourth, make the identifier simpler (e.g., ups). Finally, see if upsc command in shell provides any info. You might also try a server restart as a last resort. Hope this helps.

MalVeauX

Contributor
A few of things to try. First, change the monitor password to what you use for root. Second, try a very different driver that is listed as usbhid-ups (e.g., APC). Third, try each of the listed ports. Fourth, make the identifier simpler (e.g., ups). Finally, see if upsc command in shell provides any info. You might also try a server restart as a last resort. Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks for taking a moment.

* I changed the password to match. No success.
* I tried a few different drivers based on the usbhid-ups. No success.
* I tried all the ports and auto. It shows up by name in the list when I use a shell command and is on ugen1.3. No success.
* I have restarted the box. No success.

I'm confused since it sees the UPS and can gather its info and model number no problem. But it refuses any connection when I use the upsc ups@localhost command and it doesn't communicate/connect when I enable UPS services.

This just seems really poorly supported and its frustrating since this is common 30 year old hardware we're talking about (UPS's in general) and a mainstay in any server situation to be on one. I thought it was user error, but again, I picked up a UPS that was on the NUT list that was supposed to work. And followed the documentation. Not working. Frustrated.

Thanks again for taking a moment to try and help. Still going to try a few more things. One thing at a time. If you have any other suggestions to try, short of buying a new UPS... as I loathe the idea of getting a second one just to have the same problem... I'm all ears!

Very best,

jlpellet

Patron
I looked online & found a couple of links with ideas - seems this issue has occurred before (note the links are for linux rather than FreeBSD & YMMV). You might also try it on a different system to see if it can connect.
Good luck.

MalVeauX

Contributor
I looked online & found a couple of links with ideas - seems this issue has occurred before (note the links are for linux rather than FreeBSD & YMMV). You might also try it on a different system to see if it can connect.
Good luck.

Thanks again,

I read through it, tried a few things. Still no success. But I do appreciate the help.

Looks like I will end up having to get a new UPS if I want this to work without having to re-write code and stuff. Good lord. UPS's are not returnable items typically, so buying one is a one-and-done deal. That's why this is frustrating. It's not like I can just cycle a few until one works. And when someone says they have a model that works out of the box, that's great, but these things change so often that you go get the same model and find out it changed and doesn't work.

Sigh.... might as well start shopping for a new UPS that is *supposed* to work. :(

Very best,

jlpellet

Patron
I looked at TrueNAS 12 UPS options & it shows several different drivers for Tripplite Internet XXX that are different version of the standard usb-hid-ups (different protocol #) so you might try one of them & try enabling remote monitor options. In the weeds here but won't hurt. Also, trying to rule out hardware, consider trying with the USB connected to a Linux computer - may be FreeBSD issue ur UPS hardware problem. All that I can offer in my experience is success with APC 1000-1500VA tower units, using the usb-hid-ups driver, but I have had to toggle drivers & ports sometimes to get them to work.

MalVeauX

Contributor
I looked at TrueNAS 12 UPS options & it shows several different drivers for Tripplite Internet XXX that are different version of the standard usb-hid-ups (different protocol #) so you might try one of them & try enabling remote monitor options. In the weeds here but won't hurt. Also, trying to rule out hardware, consider trying with the USB connected to a Linux computer - may be FreeBSD issue ur UPS hardware problem. All that I can offer in my experience is success with APC 1000-1500VA tower units, using the usb-hid-ups driver, but I have had to toggle drivers & ports sometimes to get them to work.

Thanks, will keep trying different drivers until it's exhausted I guess.

This is an install of FreeNAS directly on SSD in the box, not virtualized under linux or anything else. So whatever is allowed within FreeNAS/FreeBSD is pretty much it for this box.

Very best,

Snow

Patron
Cyberpower Uses the Nut driver, I use a Eaton Ups the SNMP via my network Not sure if this helps. Also some of the drivers are not usb based but network based becuase SNMP communicates across the network Not the Universal serial bus.