Set up volumes and share incorrectly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I created a FreeNAS server for file storage and sharing. However, it seems that I may have set it up incorrectly. I did not create a dataset on the main volume and the shares are directly from the volume. The share volume is 2x 2TB drives in RAID1 and there is another 2TB drive I can use to copy data to as a temp storage while I resolve the share volume issue, but how do I go about doing that?

@m0nkey_ That was a helpful video thank you. I've created datasets for each share, but now I need to move or copy all the data from the shares that don't have a dataset, to the shares that do. I'm doing it manually currently, because command line input has been giving me several errors, depending on how I structure the command. For instance, when I attempted to move all the jpgs from one folder to another, I get the error: "Argument list too long". When I attempt to copy a folder, I get the error: "/filepath/ is a directory (not copied)." I'd really like to use the command line to do this, so it's not reliant on my workstation to perform the data migration.

Nick2253

Wizard
because command line input has been giving me several errors, depending on how I structure the command.

We could help you troubleshoot your commands if you shared with us what commands you're running ;)

We could help you troubleshoot your commands if you shared with us what commands you're running ;)
Yeah, I suppose that might help

cp /mnt/volume/share/filepath/*.jpg /mnt/volume/dataset/share/filepath/ - this is getting the Argument is too long error. From what I've read, this appears to be due to the sheer number of files in the folder (nearly 7k).

cp /mnt/volume/share/folder1/folder2/ /mnt/volume/dataset/share/folder1/ - this gets the error /folder2/ is a directory (not copied).

These are examples, obviously. Don't take them verbatim.

Nick2253

Wizard
You first problem is that your * is expanded in the shell to all matching file names. Unless there is a reason to copy only the .jpg files, you could simply copy the entire directory.

Which brings us to your second problem: cp works directly on files. If you want to cp directories, you need to use the -R option.

You first problem is that your * is expanded in the shell to all matching file names. Unless there is a reason to copy only the .jpg files, you could simply copy the entire directory.

Which brings us to your second problem: cp works directly on files. If you want to cp directories, you need to use the -R option.

Fantastic, I will attempt that shortly and report back. Thank you much.

Status
Not open for further replies.