Volume shared on NFS without defining share

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithl

Cadet
I loaded a new install of the current image (9.2). I have two nics and 6 drives. I defined a volume of the 6 drives (Z2) and created two datasets. Then I created two NFS shares, one for each dataset, and didn't check the "all directories". One share is accessible only from one network and the other share is accessible from the other network. I didn't do too much more. In particular, I didn't create an NFS share for the volume.

From one network, I can successfully mount the appropriate dataset. I can't mount the dataset that is restricted to the other network. So far so good! Curiously, though, I CAN mount the volume.

How is it that I can mount the volume when I didn't even define an NFS share?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No clue. I'm not even understanding what you are trying to explain and ask a question on. And if you are using FreeNAS on two network simultaneously then you'll have to setup your network topology appropriately. I have no clue what your network setup is, but that's something you'll have to solve on your own. :(

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
This behavior is similar on Linux. Basically you can mount a parent directory of an exported directory but you will only have permissions to view files and folders to the export that is created.

If you create an export for /home/user1, user1 can mount / successfully but should only be able to read directories in the export path. Like home and user1

Status
Not open for further replies.