Set up RAID before installation and boot off of it

Is the step where you choose a separate drive to put the OS on and boot from it an absolute requirement?

I'm coming from years of setting up Linux servers with 4 drives set up for bootable software RAID and I'm hoping to do the same with FreeNAS.

My server has four 2TB drives, but no room for any more ( I don't think it has a fifth SATA port anyway). So, ideally, I would boot off the install media, set up the four drives with something like RAIDZ2, then install FreeNAS on that (making a separate partition for the OS if needed).

I've read that some are booting off USB sticks or even optical media but that's not for me.

Thanks.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm coming from years of setting up Linux servers with 4 drives set up for bootable software RAID and I'm hoping to do the same with FreeNAS.
FreeNAS is not Linux. It uses ZFS for all storage including the boot pool. ZFS handles the redundancy, doing it any other way can create problems.
My server has four 2TB drives, but no room for any more
You can boot FreeNAS from a 16GB USB module. Some people use these with great success:
1550957551808.png
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive-SDCZ33-016G-B35/dp/B005FYNSZA

Just don't do the USB 3.0 kind because they tend to overheat and fail quickly.

FreeNAS uses the entire drive for the OS and NOTHING else.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I've read that some are booting off USB sticks or even optical media but that's not for me.
No to optical media. That just isn't how we do it. Why not USB?
It is really the only option if you have no more room in the system.
If you do have a free SATA port, you could use a SATA DOM.

You should never, NEVER use hardware RAID with FreeNAS or ZFS.

Thanks. Yes, not Linux, which is why I'm here to consult the experts (c:

Ok you've convinced me to go the USB route. It's just that there is no redundancy for the OS if it's not on the RAID too. But, USB sticks are not HDDs.

Great point about 2.0 versus 3.0 USB sticks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is the step where you choose a separate drive to put the OS on and boot from it an absolute requirement?
Yes, and it's always been that way with FreeNAS. Your data has always been separate from the boot device.
I've read that some are booting off USB sticks
"Some" would be "pretty much everyone who used FreeNAS until a couple of years ago." SSDs are now cheap enough that they're generally preferred if you have a spare SATA port (or two, if you insist on mirroring your boot devices).
It's just that there is no redundancy for the OS if it's not on the RAID too.
...unless you use mirrored boot devices, which you can do right in the installer.