Clean install of 9.10 wont boot after install completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

useful_idiot

Cadet
Hi,

I've got an existing FreeNAS 9.10 system that had a corrupted USB that caused the boot RAID to go offline and I attempted to replace with another USB stick, though pulled out without releasing it from the boot RAID first. That resulted in the system going to the Grub recovery boot menu.

I figured I'd start with a fresh install on a new(ish) USB set (Kingston DataTraveller 16Gb). Ran through the installer and no errors reported, said to reboot the system and remove the install media. Did that, saw the boot menu & let it boot.... to a blank screen. I left it for around an hour or so and still nothing.

I've given up for the night and off to bed, will see if by chance it will complete booting over night, though I'm doubtful.

Should I disable the 2x 4Tb drives from the system for the install/initial boot process?
I've tried using other USBs and redoing the install process again too just in case.

Any advise much appreciated!

Nick2253

Wizard
There are a couple things that could be going on here. Can you please post your hardware?

First, are you sure the MB is booting the USB drive? Do you get any indication that the USB drive is booting at all? (Access lights, GRUB boot screen, etc.)

If it is going to the USB drive, it may be booting successfully, but not displaying anything. Can you check your DHCP leases to see if the server is getting an IP? If it's getting an IP, can you ping/connect to it?

A problem that I recall reading about is an issue with the terminal display driver that FreeNAS is using by default (https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...on-system-not-displayed-efi-blind-mode.45144/)

useful_idiot

Cadet
There are a couple things that could be going on here. Can you please post your hardware?

First, are you sure the MB is booting the USB drive? Do you get any indication that the USB drive is booting at all? (Access lights, GRUB boot screen, etc.)

If it is going to the USB drive, it may be booting successfully, but not displaying anything. Can you check your DHCP leases to see if the server is getting an IP? If it's getting an IP, can you ping/connect to it?

A problem that I recall reading about is an issue with the terminal display driver that FreeNAS is using by default (https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...on-system-not-displayed-efi-blind-mode.45144/)

The mobo is a GA-H97N-WIFI board, with Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz, Kingston 8Gb 1600Mhz DDR3 Non-ECC DIMM, 2x 4TB WD Red drives (configured as RAID1 in past working install of FreeNAS 9.10.1)
It boots to the Grub loader, though the second it passes that, I get a blank screen.
There's nothing registering in the DHCP list or logs of my router to say that it's getting anywhere either.

I've tried switching to legacy mode, though it says no boot device available then.
Shouldn't really need to adjust any BIOS/UEFI settings, as it was a working system just hours prior.

Wondering if I try rolling back to an earlier version and seeing if that boots, then upgrading and then adding the drives and original config back to the system..

useful_idiot

Cadet
Fixed!

Reverted to 9.3-STABLE ISO install, got into GUI and performed update to 9.10.1 and then restored settings from backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.