Server for beans

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazjack

Cadet
Hi everyone!
I want to replace my ultra craptacular D-Link 320l with proper NAS for usual home network storage, running 1-2 user FTP server, git and Plex servers. I need RAID 1, I won't be using more than 2x1TB disks (emphasis on 2x). At the moment I use 2 0.5TB 7200RPM Barracudas in my D-Link and I think I'll move them to the new rig.
After a long and exhausting search for ready NAS solutions I decided to build my own tiny server and FreeNAS it. First thing you ought to know is that I'm cheap. I figured I can build something with an ancient tech and get away with it. Sooo... that's what I'm thinking about:

MB: https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/archive/Xeon3000/X58/X8ST3-F.cfm
CPU: Intel Xeon E5650-80, whatever is available
RAM: 4x4GB Hynix HMT351U7EFR8A-PB
PS: 350W Corsair with 80 Plus cert

I have some 128 SSD to use as a boot drive and I intend to pack the whole thing into some tiny box chassis like Sharkoon CA-M.

I'll take any suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If you have not bought any yet, you might want to consider (for cost) the idea of using a used Dell T3500 workstation. You can often pick up those for $150 or less in complete, built systems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.