Scrub and SMART testing schedules

Scharbag

Guru
Every 6 hours? o_O

21 tests is all mine show as well.
I live with the dreaded 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 drives... So, since the short test really does not "work" the drive very hard, I figure I have nothing to lose. :P

I only do long tests twice a month and not when scrubs are taking place. I firmly believe in overkill...

Thanks,

mw2014

Dabbler
Hi,
I know this is old, but I can't find the proper way to set up a weekly and/or bi-weekly schedule. I think I figured it out, but I would like to check it before making changes to my schedule.

I am currently using cyberjock's schedule (thank you very much) and it worked well but now I'm having issues with other work done on specific days.

Instead of specific days 1st & 15th, I would like to use First Monday, and Every Other Tuesday.
For First Monday, I was going to select, 3am, dates 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 , day Monday, months all.
For Every Other Tuesday, I was going to select, 3am, dates 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, 15,16,17,18,19,20,21, day Tuesday, months all.

Can someone verify that I am doing this correctly?
Am I correct in scheduling that everything selected must be true for the schedule to run?

Thanks
MW

Rick Arman

Dabbler
I'm not 100% certain, but my guess is the GUI is a front end for the crontab. All the options are cron options after all. Based off of that, yes your understanding would be correct.
I also found the day section confusing. but selected all of the days of the week. I also followed Cyberjock's schedule and interpreted it as follows: run the scrub on the first and 15th of every month if those days fall on ANY day of the week (hence selecting all of the days).

SamM

Dabbler
Rather than say '1st & 15th of every month', is there a way to say something to the effect of '1st & 3rd Wednesday of every month'? I like the idea of doing long tests and scrubs on a by-monthly basis, but I don't want them going off on the weekends or interfering with weekly maintenance windows for example.

albertredneck

Dabbler
Hello, just a dumb question here.

In my SMART service I've configured informative/difference/critical temperatures, so in every single test it should be above the informative, below the critical and sometimes the difference will be higher than the set difference (2 degrees).

The thing is that I'm never getting any SMART email. Is this how it's supposed to work?

xnifex

Cadet
Hello, just a dumb question here.

In my SMART service I've configured informative/difference/critical temperatures, so in every single test it should be above the informative, below the critical and sometimes the difference will be higher than the set difference (2 degrees).

The thing is that I'm never getting any SMART email. Is this how it's supposed to work?

If I remember correctly you'll only get an email from the SMART tests if something is super critical. You should set up a cronjob/task to generate an email with informative information on it though & have that sent out at least once a month.

I use a modified version of the following in github:
https://github.com/edgarsuit/FreeNAS-Report

apparently it started or was spawned from this thread:
https://www.ixsystems.com/community...d-identification-and-backup-the-config.27365/

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Temperatures should definitely trigger an email, so something is likely misconfigured.

albertredneck

Dabbler
I'm getting other types of emails, like scrubs or security alerts, but not the SMART ones.

The recipient of the SMART service is the same as the one configured in Email. The Power Level is Never and the Informational Temperature is 30 (my drives are always above 30).

I have daily short SMART test tasks.

Should I get something or it's just as @xnifex says? Anywhere I can look for debug traces?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can check the maillog, as a first step, at least it should narrow things down a little.

it's just as @xnifex says?
No. Or at least it's not supposed to - it's possible that there's a bug keeping it from working in your case, but that is a different matter.

As an example, shortly after I plug in my external USB SSD, I get an email saying that it's too hot (it isn't by SSD standards, but it is by the standards of the hard disks in the server).

albertredneck

Dabbler
I've checked the maillog, six days, not a single appearance of "smart" or "SMART" :(

BTW, my disks have the Enable SMART flag to Yes, and I'm still getting other mails.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There's always the possibility of it being a bug. Some people occasionally report this same problem, but nobody's really been able to figure it out, since it works for most people.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'd say file a bug report and include a debug tarball. With any luck the problem will become obvious shortly after submitting the ticket, as these things generally go.

albertredneck

Dabbler
So I got the emails in the end, lowering the critical temperature below my drives usual temperature.

The problem was that after the test, I raise again the critical temperature to a value above the usual temperature but I didn't got new emails and the alerts were not cleared (I needed to do that manually).

I'm starting to think that an alert can only be cleared if it's exactly the same alert, so, changing the critical temperature results in a new "alert identity". Do you think that might be a bug?

I'm not 100% certain, but my guess is the GUI is a front end for the crontab. All the options are cron options after all. Based off of that, yes your understanding would be correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron

It indeed is, but be careful when setting things from the shell (like the crontab schedule), since those changes may not end up on the FreeNAS database, and will therefore get lost after a reboot (or even after you close the shell session).