Scrub and SMART scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RYknow

Explorer
Hey all, Just had a quick question on scheduling smart tests and scrubs. I currently have it configured to perform a Long Smart test on the first of every month. Every 7 days after that it performs a short test. For scrubs, I have the machine setup to do a scrub on the 2nd and 15th of every month.

Is this too much? I feel as though this is really a personal preference thing, but if most here think I'm over doing it I can tweak my schedules.

Thanks,
-RYknow

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
No, it's very good ;)

You can see my own schedule in the Misc section of this thread if you want.

-RYknow

Explorer
Perfect! Thank you for the quick response! I'll give your schedule a look. I'm currently trying to configure email notification.

I followed a setup similar to @cyberjock and i do a long SMART test on the 1st and 15th, short SMART tests on the 3rd,6th,9th,12th,18th,21st,24th,27th,29th, and a scrub every 35 days on a monday at midnight on all my pools, sometimes it goes over the 35 days due to it not falling on a Monday, but thats ok.

I also setup to get alerts about my pool status and SMART status every Friday at midnight courtesy of the very amazing Bidule0hm for the scripts.

-RYknow

Explorer
I have a quick question about email notifications. I setup my email last night, and I'm getting the test messages. I also received my first "real" email last night, which just notified me of a failed SSH log in (I mis-typed my password), as well as a few changes to my pool. I'm just wondering about the SMART/scrub notifications. I added my email address to the SMART settings. Will it automatically email me with details about the SMART data/tests? I see from Bidule0hm setup, that he has manually configured various notifications. I plan to get that involved, but for the time being I'm happy with just getting weekly SMART updates. Also, will it automatically shoot me an email with details from my scrubs?

Thanks
-RYknow

Bidule0hm

Nop, it only send an email if something is wrong. That's why I made the scripts ;)

-RYknow

Explorer
Nop, it only send an email if something is wrong. That's why I made the scripts ;)

Ok then! I'll have to give your scripts a look over. I noticed you perform a scrub on your boot drive as well (I'm assuming you boot off a thumb drive?). How did you configure that? I don't have the option to schedule a scrub on my boot device.

Sorry if these are lame questions. Still learning FreeNAS. I'm incredibly thankful of the community here though. Everyone has been fantastic!

-RYknow

Bidule0hm

I've set the threshold to 30 days in the boot tab of the GUI (I think it's 35 days by default, you can leave that too) and then I added a cron task with the command zpool scrub freenas-boot so I effectively bypass the default scrub (because it'll be always less than 30 days between scrubs as I do one every 15 days), I can chose exactly when I do the scrubs and if anything goes wrong with my cron then there's always the default scrub every 30 days :)

-RYknow

Explorer
I can chose exactly when I do the scrubs and if anything goes wrong with my cron then there's always the default scrub every 30 days :)

Love the way you think! Going to implement this exact setup.

Thanks again!
-RYknow

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Because USB sticks are so unreliable, I scrub my boot pool daily. I just set the interval in the System | Boot tab.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I scrub every 5 days. Daily seems like overkill, but they do run in some 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.