Resource icon

Scripted Plex installation

xames

Patron
Plugins will remain supported until early 2025. If you want to stay on CORE, you'll need to move to manually-managed jails.

See https://www.truenas.com/blog/the-future-of-truenas-plugins-is-apps/ and also https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/truenas-13-1-wishlist.116359/post-808384 for some color.

CORE is squarely focused on storage now, and conservative on features. SCALE is storage + apps + virtualization + clustering + feature velocity.
ok fine, I stay in core, I want to have the latest plex of danb35 script, wich are, and how to update.

cdog89

Explorer
Yes.

This is incorrect. You're inadvertently referencing a path outside the jail. The jail has no concept of "/mnt/Pool1/....." Only the proper TrueNAS host has such access. You need to reference the path in the jail itself that points to this location. (This location, which you gave access to the jail via a mountpoint.)

See my previous post for an example.

EDIT: To help you see it from a different perspective, consider this:

Anything after /mnt/pool/iocage/jails/jailname/root is where the jail's root filesystem begins, and hence, how it "sees the world".

Take this path on your TrueNAS system, for example...
/mnt/pool/iocage/jails/myapp/root/media/downloads

If this is the real path from the host's perspective...
/mnt/pool/iocage/jails/myapp/root/media/downloads

Then this is the path, as seen (and understood) from within the "myapp jail"...
/media/downloads

(Where mountpoints come into play is directing certain paths, within the jail, to have access outside of the jail.)

I have broken my plex jail, I think. I'm not sure if it was when I moved the reference to the metadata location, or it's related to a power glitch I had last night.

I want to change the metadata location back to its original location for troubleshooting. The original "Metadata" folder was found at "/mnt/Pool1/iocage/jails/plex/root/usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Metadata"

So the command at the shell cli would be:

sysrc plexmediaserver_support_path="/usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Metadata"

Just a question, though, since it is the 'plexmediaserver_support_path', would it be '/usr/local/plexdata' ?

Thanks!

Just a question, though, since it is the 'plexmediaserver_support_path', would it be '/usr/local/plexdata' ?
I really don't know, since I switched from Plex to Jellyfin.

Not sure if what Plex considers its "support path" is the base folder "plexdata" or in fact a nested child, such as "plexdata/Plex Media Server", or an even further nested child, such as "plexdata/Plex Media Server/Metadata".

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer

cdog89

Explorer
Well, I definitely hosed something. I might have to just reinstall plex with the original metadata files stored outside of the jail. But this still leaves the problem that if I have to reset the jail again, I really don't know what the actually 'support path' is. Oh well. Thanks winnielinnie.

cdog89

Explorer
It's the base path. In my script, I set it to /config.
I think I'll just bite the bullet and use your script to reinstall plex. I'll have to reset the metadata again (ugh.) but at least I won't have this problem again in the future.