Scale install issues

Jason Giddens

Dabbler
Hey all,

I am setting up my new rig (Dell r720, IT mode Perc H710p, drives...) and trying to get Scale installed. If I put in my Truenas Core USB stick it installs just fine into a NVME drive i have in a USB adapter connected to the internal USB header. If I try to the same with my Scale ISO USB I get a failure:

"mount: /mnt: failed to setup loop device for /cdrom/TrueNAS-SCALE.update"

It then says the install failed and kicks me to a shell prompt. If I have Truenas Core installed on my nvme/usb stick then the installer sees the existing install and offers to upgrade, but that also fails to the same error.

Thoughts?

Jason Giddens

Dabbler
Hey all,

I am setting up my new rig (Dell r720, IT mode Perc H710p, drives...) and trying to get Scale installed. If I put in my Truenas Core USB stick it installs just fine into a NVME drive i have in a USB adapter connected to the internal USB header. If I try to the same with my Scale ISO USB I get a failure:

"mount: /mnt: failed to setup loop device for /cdrom/TrueNAS-SCALE.update"

It then says the install failed and kicks me to a shell prompt. If I have Truenas Core installed on my nvme/usb stick then the installer sees the existing install and offers to upgrade, but that also fails to the same error.

Thoughts?
Alright, I recreated the ISO on the USB again and this time it installed successfully. Awesome! Sadly, it does not boot. It stops at

[ 32.077867 ] sd 0:0:3:0: [sdd] Attached SCSI disk

it stalls there and nothing else happens.

If i hit enter i get kicked to a (Initramfs) prompt

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Weird, the USB stick is removed at this point right? What kind of disk hardware do you have on the box? Wonder if a particular drive probe is failing, whatever comes after sdd in the ordering.

Jason Giddens

Dabbler
Kris,

Yes, the USB stick is out and the server is booting from the internal NVME/USB adapter.

The drives are as follows:
Drive SlotManufacturerPart #CapacityInterface
0ToshibaSDFCP93GEB02200GbSAS
1ToshibaSDFCP93GEB02200GbSAS
2Seagate92M270-0464tbSAS
3Seagate92M270-0464tbSAS
4Seagate92M270-0464tbSAS
5Seagate92M270-0464TbSAS

These are all used drives I bought off of ebay, so maybe one of them is wonky? That being said, Truenas Core had no problem booting or seeing any of these drives.

Jason Giddens

Dabbler
The plot thickens. I went ahead and blew up the scale install and just installed Truenas Core 12 to see if the drives would cooperate. It installed nicely and I was able to create my 2x200gb SSD pool. When I went to create a pool with 2x mirrored VDEVs witht he 4 4TB drives I ran into trouble. No matter how I laid this out or which drives I used I get an error that prevents the creation of the pool:

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 367, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 403, in __run_body
    rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 973, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 670, in do_create
    formatted_disks = await self.middleware.call('pool.format_disks', job, disks)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1248, in call
    return await self._call(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1205, in _call
    return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/format_disks.py", line 56, in format_disks
    await asyncio_map(format_disk, disks.items(), limit=16)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/utils/asyncio_.py", line 16, in asyncio_map
    return await asyncio.gather(*futures)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/utils/asyncio_.py", line 13, in func
    return await real_func(arg)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/format_disks.py", line 29, in format_disk
    await self.middleware.call(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1248, in call
    return await self._call(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1216, in _call
    return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1120, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/utils/io_thread_pool_executor.py", line 25, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/disk_/format.py", line 25, in format
    raise CallError(f'Failed to wipe disk {disk}: {job.error}')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to wipe disk da0: [EFAULT] Command gpart create -s gpt /dev/da0 failed (code 1):
gpart: Input/output error

Suggestions?