Can't mirror boot-pool

pinoli

Dabbler
As the title say, after a clean install of TrueNAS SCALE 21.04 ALPHA-1 on my server, it seems I cannot mirror the boot pool, the three dots don't show.

FhmVCjC.png

I have installed the OS on a NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB) plugged to a USB3 port through a RTL9210 controller (FW version 1.21.17) in a neat USB-stick like enclosure.
CYvEgjm.png

I have two of these USB NVMe sticks, they are both recognized, but whichever I choose to install the OS on, I still can't mirror the boot-pool once in TrueNAS SCALE, the three dots don't show.

I swear I saw the option to mirror the boot-pool in version 21.02, so I am not sure if this depends on my hardware (the RTL9210) or on the state of development of TrueNAS SCALE. I also tried different browsers to no avail.
If you have any clue it would be much appreciated.

P.S.: during install I tried installing the 16GB partition on the drive, and tried without it.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
@pinoli - Please go ahead and file a ticket on https://jira.ixsystems.com with a debug attached (after plugging in your additional device). I'm guessing its indeed a bug of some type in 21.04 and we'll want to get that solved before BETA 21.06.

pinoli

Dabbler
thanks @Kris Moore I filed a ticket as you suggested, you can find it here

1337beo

Cadet
you can do it on the cli if you want, you need sudo rights!

Code:
find the right disk:
sudo fdisk -l 
find the boot-pool:
sudo zpool status
attach a second disk to it:
sudo zpool attach boot-pool sdd3 sde
in my example sdd3 is the "old" boot disk and sde is the new
review:
sudo zpool status
->
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        boot-pool   ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdd3    ONLINE       0     0     0
            sde     ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
!!!!!
Wait for resilvering to be finished before rebooting etc.

ok1718

Cadet
you can do it on the cli if you want, you need sudo rights!

Code:
find the right disk:
sudo fdisk -l
find the boot-pool:
sudo zpool status
attach a second disk to it:
sudo zpool attach boot-pool sdd3 sde
in my example sdd3 is the "old" boot disk and sde is the new
review:
sudo zpool status
->
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        boot-pool   ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdd3    ONLINE       0     0     0
            sde     ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
!!!!!
Wait for resilvering to be finished before rebooting etc.

thats cool, thanks! Will this show up in the truenas gui?

1337beo

Cadet
Screenshot 2021-07-21 083929.png

it does. the only thing I noticed, aber a reboot the usb stickt got a new name and under Disks you see it as "free". before the reboot it was market for boot-pool, but I need to check with labeling, as I am not a Linux Pro and just starting for truenas with it :smile:
but on cli and gui the boot pool is still listed as mirrored, didn´t had time to test it with removing one usb stick
Code:
config:

NAME                        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        boot-pool                   ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdh3                    ONLINE       0     0     0
            usb-USB_Flash_Disk-0:0  ONLINE       0     0     0

sretalla