SOLVED Scale 22.12.1 - Plex 1.32.0.6918_1.7.36 Implementation frustration

linus12

Explorer
Moderators:
Sorry if I did this wrong, but I realized that I might have originally posted this in the wrong sub forum. I have copied it here as this seems to be better related to Apps in Scale, not just apps in general.​
If there is a better way to move a post/thread please let me know.​

Frustrations with Installing Plex - It shouldn't be this difficult!​

(either that or my searching for answers has degraded with age)

I've read through the other posts (in this forum) about Plex installs, and followed a few (The help for the fields could use a a lot of help!) But I can't seem to connect/configure the Plex Media server correctly.

New install of TrueNAS Scale 22.12.1 hardware, not VM (See signature for configuration)
Attempted to install Plex 1.32.0.6918_1.7.36 through the Apps tab using the following steps
1. Created new Plex account at plex.tv
2. Obtained a "Claim ticket"
3. Selected Plex App to install,
4. Filled in "Claim ticket" (if this is required at install time it really should be marked as "required")
5. Selected Save
Screen changed to "Deploying" then finally "Active": results look like this

Plex1.jpg

Clicking on "Web Portal" brings up \\<truenas-ip>:32400/web/index.html#!/setup/77378a22811bd575ef602a999fd0bedc4c1184e9
but that results in a page that says:

Plex2.jpg

I have Plex running successfully on a FreeNAS Server (see Signature) but can't seem to get it working correctly on my TrueNAS Scale server.
On the FreeNAS server the Plex server has a different IP address (for the jail) but there is no Jail on TrueNAS Scale.

If I missed a tutorial/setup walk through some place, please feel free to point me in the right direction.
This just seems to be harder than it should be.

Oh yes, I am doing all of this from my current network. no tunneling, no vpn, not dialing in from the outside.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:

linus12

Explorer

Update​

Digging further on the Plex site, I found the following:
https://support.plex.tv/articles/20...d-out-of-server-settings-and-how-do-i-get-in/
which basically said to stop the server and delete a few entries in the Preferences.xml file.

Ok.... and off we go down a rabbit hole trying to locate that file. Finally found it at:
/mnt/<pool>/ix-applications/releases/plex/volumes/ix_volumes/ix-plex_config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server
where <pool> is where you installed your 'applications'

What is interesting is that the data stored in the entries I deleted were based on the info from the plex server on my other box! These are two separate boxes. On different IPs. With no shared usernames or passwords! But somehow, the Scale box installation process was able to reach into my FreeNAS box and pull that data? Say what?

On to trying to get Plex to scan a small library to see if I can get it working.

linus12

Explorer

Next issue: Finding my files​

Now that I got my Plex Server up and running, correctly, it was time to add my libraries. Here's how I had them set up:
Media.jpg

But my Datasets are set up as follows:
DataSets.jpg

And yes, my SMB users all had access to the "AllMedia" Dataset. One user has Read/Write access as they maintain the files on the server, All other users have only Read Access as they just watch and listen to the files.

Rather than introduce another Dataset/Directory level to all the files, (some of these go pretty far down the directory structure to conform with Plex's reccomended naming conventions)...
I created Separate Mount points in the Plex Server for each of the directories I will be adding a Library for:
Plex3.jpg

Plex seems happy, my users who like to watch movies directly from the Server (without Plex) are happy. And my CFO who oversees the budgets is happy she can watch her movies via her TV and her iPad.

BTW, no craziness with adding extra users; no permissions issues, it just all seems to work.

Next step... Upgrading to the latest Plex version and TrueNas Scale versions.

I will leave the server running for a few days before changing this to solved... if for no other reason than to get additional feedback from others who have been around here longer than I have.

linus12

Explorer

Another twist in the tale....​

So everything was working... until I went through the app settings dialog and noticed the Enable Host Path Safety Checks was unchecked!
Which is not the default value. I reset that and then the Plex server failed. Still trying to understand why this should be an issue for Plex as it seems it only needs Read access to the Media files (which are stored separate from the configuration files). Leaving it unchecked as I re-read all the requirements.

Also noticed there is a new Scale Update and a new Plex Update... so maybe a 'fix' is in the works? I don't anticipate other apps for this server, but better to be safe.

linus12

Explorer

Everything is working fine​

So I read through the posts on the Enable Host Path Safety Checks, especially this one:
Understanding the TrueNAS SCALE "hostPathValidation" setting

I have concluded that for this particular instance of TreuNAS Scale with only Plex running, turning off this flag should not be an issue.

Since the "Safety Check" is to prevent multiple writers from clobbering a file at the same time, AND because Plex only has 'read' access to the the same files shared under the SMB share, there should be no conflict.

The applications data, where Plex does need write access, is not shared with anyone. Further, for the movie files under the share, Plex only has 'read' access. So even if Plex wanted to write to the files, the permissions at the file level will not allow it.

While I agree with the risk of this setting when used incorrectly, in this particular case, this use seems to be the correct use.

I consider this issue SOLVED. However, I am unable to set my own thread to Solved without being a "Registered+" user (which I assume means paying some monthly fee). Sigh... I do however consider this issue solved.

Edit: minor punctuation and formatting to make things easier to read.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
"Registered+" user (which I assume means paying some monthly fee). Sigh... I do however consider this issue solved.
No, there's no fee for any part of these forums (unless I still haven't run into it 10 years and 15k posts later). I'd suspect it has to do with your activity level here, though I'd still think you should be past whatever threshold is there. I'll see if a mod can take a look.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No, there's no fee for any part of these forums (unless I still haven't run into it 10 years and 15k posts later). I'd suspect it has to do with your activity level here, though I'd still think you should be past whatever threshold is there. I'll see if a mod can take a look.

This subforum is not configured for solved tags. I'll see what can be done.

Additionally, we didn't notice that you haven't been paying your bill @danb35. Please immediately make out a check or money order for $14,130.00 and send that off to

iXsystems Community Moderators Beer Fund
P.O. Box 123
San Jose, CA 45678-9012

Thanks and sorry for the oversight.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You can stop payment on that check and mail a new one.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
iXsystems Community Moderators Beer Fund
I think we need a better name. "iXsystems Community Fund for the Developent and Sustainment of Critical Infrastructure and Elimination of World Hunger"

I consider this issue SOLVED. However, I am unable to set my own thread to Solved without being a "Registered+" user (which I assume means paying some monthly fee). Sigh... I do however consider this issue solved.
No fee here, the forums are free forever!

We'll fix this. Sorry about that!