Plex App on Truenas Scale: "Get Plex Media Server"

destate

Dabbler
I had the plex app for Truenas Scale working fine over the past few months, then this morning when I signed into plex my server wasn't showing up. I tried signing directly into my plex server at [My Truenas server ip]:32400/web/index.html, and it gave me the sign in screen. When I signed in, I clicked on "Your media" and it gave me the 'ol "Get Plex Media Server" button prompting me to add my media to plex.

This is a pretty common problem people run into on the interwebs (usually encountered at first time setup), because you're not accessing your server from the same subnet. However, I am on the same subnet as my Truenas scale server. I bet I'm not on the same subnet as the k3s node running this plex server...

Has anyone else run into this? I can't figure out how I can access this server from the same subnet to "claim" it. I've also tried generating a claim token from plex.tv/claim and entering it in as an argument to the app config with no luck (I do it within the four minutes of the code expiring).

In an effort to "access the plex server from the same subnet", I've ssh'd into my truenas server with a local port forward to 32400 still with no luck. I'm guessing it's because this k3s node is on its own subnet in a cluster that my server isn't on?

Furthermore, as troubleshooting steps I've tried the following:
- In my "App Advanced Settings" I have added my Route v4 interface and Route v4 gateway (my router). Previously those were blank and everything was working fine
- In my Plex App config, I've unchecked the "Host Network" box as it is recommended to uncheck. But it was checked before and working fine. What even is this box?

I'm running version 1.32.8.7639 of the Plex app on TrueNAS charts (chart version 2.0.1, which I've upgraded to in the troubleshooting process. previously I was on 1.7.59)

destate

Dabbler
Update: I begrudgingly clobbered all of my old config data and deleted the app so I could reinstall fresh. Now starting fresh with the 2.0.1 version, I'm able to connect to the local media server, but it can't see the internet! Which means I cannot "claim" the server because this container can't see the internet. Super cool.

I gotta say, this k3s paradigm is really driving me up a wall. Plex was the ONE app I got to install and work from TrueNAS charts, and now not even plex is working. I bet I could get this up and running in like 10 minutes if I just did a docker compose... I have to be missing something fundamental here. Why would it be so much better using k3s pods for these containers as opposed to just docker containers? Is there an advantage for security? Resource management? Isolation? I know it's in the name, but the one advantage I could see someone opting for k3s for would be is scalability, but what home-gamer is running large-scale high-availability services?

Grabbels

Cadet
I'm currently dealing with the same issue. How did you reset/delete the app's config data?

Funnily enough this problem only arose after the first time I installed and deleted the Plex app – the first time the first-time-config modal showed up allowing me to add my media, but after deleting and reinstalling the app this modal never shows and I get the "Get Plex Media Server" button and I can't add my media anywhere. Reinstalls don't fix this, which makes me suspect somewhere on the system there's config files for Plex left behind after an uninstall.

mrB4el

Cadet
1707905432928.png

Make it available on host network. By default both server and WebUi are in k8 network only.

nikkon

Contributor
HI all.
I have the same issue. I just moved from Core to Scale and I'm not able to make plex get a LAN IP. Any guidance? thank you.