SAS -> SATA... Which route?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plato

Contributor
Hi,

I have a FreeNAS system from DS380B case and AsRock C2750D4I board with 32GB ECC memory. I have 9x6 TB HDDs + 1x256 GB SSD ( for jail ).. Now, I think it's almost time to expand my system..

So I'm thinking of buying LSI 9200-8e PCI-E card to expand via another case..

I have an ATX case which could take about 16 disks ( I may or may not use them all but it's a big case anyway..

When I think about it just converting SFF8087 external cable to SFF8088 internal adapter is not enough. I have to provide power for the disks and I'm not sure how I could power-up an ATX PSU without rigging the cable..

The best way may be to use a rackmount case specially designed for this case. But I have no experience with those. I think those cases' PSU power-up when the backplane receives power from SFF-8087 cables ( from the main system ). Could you explain how it really works?

So what do you think? What's my best option?

Should I go with my current case and solve PSU power-up problem somehow ( like triggering the ATX PSU when the PSU in the main system powers up ).. With this I only have to buy a PSU, SFF8087->SFF8088 converter and SFF8088 -> 4xSATA cable..

Or should I buy a rackmount case? I know they're quite pricey.. If I go that route I'd prefer a case with 16x or 24x SATA slots. What to buy then..

I don't want to pay too much, but I want it to work without any problems.. I may start with 10 more disks but I want to expand it later on..

Nick2253

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.