CSE-PTJBOD-CS2 interaction between PDB?

azio

Dabbler
Hey all,

Over the last few months I was struggling to remove my PDB from my 847 chassis supermicro JBOD, I discovered that my supermicro CS2 power control board might instead be faulty.

The characteristics of the problem are simple;

The board and system powers on correctly (automatically) when a desktop ATX power supply gives power to the CSE-PTJBOD-CS2 but not via all of the 3 PDB's I have.

When the CSE-PTJBOD-CS2 is connected with either of the 3 PDB's I have here (all 3 known working or pulled from working systems), I get amber all around and no power up, no power switch toggle nothing. It's like the whole thing is dead. What I can't figure out is why if the PDB's are good. Could this be caused by just simply bad PSU's inside of the PDB enclosure, or the CS2 itself? As it looks like CS2 works with desktop ATX PSU when jerry rigged that way for simple test unit comes on normally and turns on and off normally. It's so frustrating.

I know what is happening, I can see that self-evidently the PDB just isn't switching power to the CS2. What I don't know is why it works absolutely fine with a regular ATX desktop psu, but with 3 known working PDB's it does not. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Presumably something going on between the supermicro CS2 and the PDB's thru the proprietary cable it has, but the question I have is has anyone else ever experienced this problem?

Has anyone got any steps or solution or experience resolving this problem? I'm really hard pressed how to fix it and troubleshoot it further and its driving me crazy and getting expensive now. I could probably buy a new one for the price of several 416-8824's or CS2/CS3 and psu replacing every part.

I'm matching the PDB parts, what gives? Can the CS2 really fail in such a way that it will stop communicating with PDB's and result in no power on, but a normal desktop power supply will work fine with it? Come on really if that is the case, it's super crazy annoying, how can anyone troubleshoot something like this reasonably :(

Any help or direction much appreciated!

Thank you so much!