Bootup Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemyZ

Contributor
Got all my parts ready to go and system is not booting up.

Hardware
Supermicro X11SSH-F MB
32gb Crucial DDR4 unbuffered Ram
Intel core i3 6300
Supermicro 825TQ 2U Chassis
500W Plat Supermicro PSU

I get a green light on the motherboard that indicates its getting power but when i hit the power button on the front panel no fans no nothing.I bought the case and psu used from a reputable seller on ebay.I reseated ram and removed accessories but still nothing.Made sure the 24 and 4 pins for power were plugged in properly on the motherboard. Made sure the orientation of the cpu was lined up when i seated it in the socket. The motherboard has 10 pins for the front panel header and the ribbon cable for the case is only 8 pins which doesnt add up. On my motherboard its called the JP1 header according to the manual and its where my ribbon cable is spose to plug into but it leaves 2 pins out no matter how i plug it in.I thought a supermicro case is spose to be easy when connecting to a supermicro motherboard.I do not have a power supply tester but i do have a digital multimeter somewhere.i have built other machines before without issues.Jus need to make sure its not something i overlooked before i go out and buy more stuff

My assumptions
I think the psu is fine because of the green light
I think there may be an issue with the cpu and i will reseat later
I think there may be an issue with the front panel header or i may need some kind of adaptor

If someone has used the same hardware before let me know if u ran into any issues or any ideas would be most appreciated thanx

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Did you try momentarily shorting the power on pins on the front panel header?

Dice

Wizard
I think there may be an issue with the front panel header or i may need some kind of adaptor
My bet is that you've not connected the power switch correctly.
if u can find a 2 pin circuit push-relase circuit breaker from another case, check the manual for which pins are the powerbutton. Just try with another switch alone. For basic operation, no other should be needed (the 6 leds to the case should not be needed for opreattion.)

RemyZ

Contributor
Did you try momentarily shorting the power on pins on the front panel header?
I have not tried that and not confident in doing this.How is this done??

RemyZ

Contributor
My bet is that you've not connected the power switch correctly.
if u can find a 2 pin circuit push-relase circuit breaker from another case, check the manual for which pins are the powerbutton. Just try with another switch alone. For basic operation, no other should be needed (the 6 leds to the case should not be needed for opreattion.)
I will doublecheck the manual and only connect the pins for power and see what happens.

Dice

Wizard
How is this done??
Here is a video that gives you the idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ewkjDf4bZM
But - disregard everything he says about which pins, color of wires, and what ever else. Watch it muted.
You will see him touch 2 pins with a screwdriver. That you can do to emulate the powerswitch toggle.
Find out which pins are for power in the manual to the motherboard.

Cheers

Last edited:

RemyZ

Contributor
Finally had some free time to double check this issue. I shorted the pins for Power on the motherboard and it booted up fine. I can now isolate the issue with the Front Panel Ribbon Connector which I have been trying to connect one way specifically. I will try and turn it upside down and plugging it in and trying again. The thing that bothers me is The motherboard has a 10 pin layout and the ribbon connect has only 8 pins. Supermicro Case to Supermicro Motherboard which I didnt think there would be these weird quirks.

RemyZ

Contributor
That did it. The ribbon cable was zip tied up and made me believe it only went in one way. Feel stupid but after taking it out of its zip ties and turning it the other way around it booted right up. Now the last pins labeled "NMI" & Ground" are exposed. The description in the manual states that this is Non-maskable interrupt. Do I need this ?

RemyZ

Contributor
One other thing I have noticed is that the system now boots up when turning the ribbon cable the other way around. I can now press the power button on the front panel and it boots up. I can hit the reset button and it restarts. I hold the power button or press the power button and it doesn't turn off ? Any thoughts on this ?

Disregard I goofed I have to hold down for 20 seconds it seems. Thanks to all

RemyZ

Contributor
Anyone knows what NMI is used for for the Front Panel Header ?

Status
Not open for further replies.