Need help picking a rackmount case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booyaah

Dabbler
Hi,

I am going to be building out my first rack and I would like to re-use all the existing hardware for my NAS device and just put it in a rackmount case.

I currently have FreeNAS running inside a Silverstone SFF tower case:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=452&area=en

With this Mini-ITX mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157467

Using a IBM ServeRaid 1015 HBA card:
http://www.serversupply.com/products/part_search/pid_query.asp?pid=176380

I have 8 WD Red Drives in my storage array.

---------------

1) Will a 2U case still fit my HBA card (I think it is listed at 2.72 inches in width) with my breakout cable?

2) I need a rackmount case that supports Mini-ITX form factor for the mobo...or is it better to just drill the holes manually? (rather not have to do this personally)

3) I assume I will not be able to reuse my existing PSU, but will need a rackmount form factor one?

Basically what I am looking for are purchasing links.

Someone recommended me to buy a Supermicro 846 case off E-Bay but I think the 4U size will be overkill as I don't really need more than 8 hot-swap drive bays, so I'm looking for something a bit smaller.

Thanks.

acp

Explorer
Hi,

I am going to be building out my first rack and I would like to re-use all the existing hardware for my NAS device and just put it in a rackmount case.

I currently have FreeNAS running inside a Silverstone SFF tower case:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=452&area=en

With this Mini-ITX mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157467

Using a IBM ServeRaid 1015 HBA card:
http://www.serversupply.com/products/part_search/pid_query.asp?pid=176380

I have 8 WD Red Drives in my storage array.

---------------

1) Will a 2U case still fit my HBA card (I think it is listed at 2.72 inches in width) with my breakout cable?

2) I need a rackmount case that supports Mini-ITX form factor for the mobo...or is it better to just drill the holes manually? (rather not have to do this personally)

3) I assume I will not be able to reuse my existing PSU, but will need a rackmount form factor one?

Basically what I am looking for are purchasing links.

Someone recommended me to buy a Supermicro 846 case off E-Bay but I think the 4U size will be overkill as I don't really need more than 8 hot-swap drive bays, so I'm looking for something a bit smaller.

Thanks.
The hba will fit in a 2u case once you put on the low profile bracket. If you don't have one you can fit them on eBay around $10.

Cable management will be an issue with the m1015 due to the orientation of the sff-8087 connector. You will need a right angle cable otherwise it will hit the top of the case. When I built the system I think I finally got the cable from monoprice.

Most cases note should have no problem with the microatx. I picked up a supermicro 826 series case with the tq back plane. My version supports 12 drive so running 12 cables is a pain. I managed to get dual power supplies. Other than the fan noise it runs great. My board is an atx. The air shroud was an issue for me due to the CPU placement. I managed to make it work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Fuganater

Patron
Cable management will be an issue with the m1015 due to the orientation of the sff-8087 connector. You will need a right angle cable otherwise it will hit the top of the case. When I built the system I think I finally got the cable from monoprice.

+10000 You may need to switch to a LSI 9211-8i which has the ports on the back of the card, not the top.

You can get an 826/825 but if you get the 'TQ' version, you will have to have a breakout cable to cable up each individual drive. If you get the 'E16' version, you only need 1 SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cable for all the drives.

You would need to see if the chassis supports that small mobo. Supermicro might not but there are a ton others out there but I would not recommend anything other than a SC chassis.

RemyZ

Contributor
I'm confused. I have a 825TQ Case being shipped out. I will be using the onboard sata ports on the motherboard (SM X11SSH-F) to plug into the backplane. Do I still need a breakout cable ?

Last edited:

Fuganater

Patron
I am confused. I have a 825TQ Case being shipped out. I will be using the onboard sata ports on the motherboard (SM X1SSH-F) to plug into the backplane. Do I still need a breakout cable ?
If you have enough ports no but be prepared for a spaghetti of cables.

RemyZ

Contributor
If you have enough ports no but be prepared for a spaghetti of cables.

Ok thanks for the info. What can I do to clean up this cable solution ?

Fuganater

Patron
Use a HBA LSI 9211-8i and use breakout cables. It will be much cleaner.

RemyZ

Contributor
$200...I may like the rats nest for now lol but I do see better prices on Ebay will take a look.

Fuganater

Patron
Ya they are only $100 on Ebay.

RemyZ

Contributor
Thanks, one more thing before I buy. Do I still need individual cables from the BPN-SAS-825TQ Backplane to the drives ?
This is how I am visualizing it

3.5" HDD/4x Individual Sata Cables--->-->------Front of BPN-SAS-825TQ Backplane////Back of BPN-SAS-825TQ Backplane---->---->BreakoutCable-->--->HBA LSI 9211-8i

Let me know if this is correct. I have searched for pictures and vids to break this down but haven't found any

RemyZ

Contributor
Thanks, What is the correct breakout cable I should buy to go along with the HBA ?

Fuganater

Patron

RemyZ

Contributor
So I can get this reverse breakout cable to go directly from the onboard sata ports to the backplane or get a HBA and use with forward breakout cables. If so seems like the reverse breakout cable is the cheaper option any disadvantages to this ?

Fuganater

Patron
HBA --> Backplane for the reverse breakout cable.

If you have enough onboard SATA ports you can go from them directly to the backplane ports. This way does cause much of a cable mess unless you are pro at cable routing.

RemyZ

Contributor
Thanx a million. Just ordered all the parts I need (2x Reverse Breakout Cables, HBA LSI 9211-8i & 2x Molex to 4x Sata Power)
Sorry to hijack the thread I hope Booyah, that you got all the answers to your questions.

danb35

Hall of Famer
SFF-8087 breakout cable. That is just an example.
This is a bad example. He needs a breakout cable, not a reverse breakout cable. A reverse breakout cable would be used, e.g., to take four ports from the LSI controller on an X10SL7 and combine them into a single SFF-8087 connector to plug into a backplane. The breakout (or forward breakout) cable does the opposite--connects one SFF-8087 to four individual drives (or drive ports on a -TQ backplane in this case). This is what @RemyZ needs.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
HBA --> Backplane for the reverse breakout cable.
No no no no no no no no no!

If you have individual SATA-style ports on your SAS controller, you need a reverse breakout cable.

If you have a single SFF-8087 port and want to connect individual drives directly to it (or have a stupid backplane), you need a forward breakout cable.

They are electrically incompatible!

RemyZ

Contributor
Thnx, the reverse breakout cable has already been ordered and on the way.The 825TQ backplane has individual comnectors and not a SFF-8087 port. I understand it now but i think a visual guide would be best futurewise to help newbies like me understand what parts to buy since i am sure this question has been asked before.This would help a freat deal even though there are 2 stickies that discuss the topic already.My artistic skills are lacking...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thnx, the reverse breakout cable has already been ordered and on the way.The 825TQ backplane has individual comnectors and not a SFF-8087 port.
In that case, you need a forward breakout cable.

Your case is that of "stupid backplane".

Status
Not open for further replies.