Sas controller bad/corrupted, lsi 2308 on SM x10sl7-f

Hope somebody can help me with this hopefully it's not totally broken. there are many posts about the re-flashing and success stories so i hope it might be savable.

So the other day the sas controller (lsi 2308) on my supermicro x10sl7-f went bad/corrupted. So bad that the system crashed and will not run when restarted (it freezes and ipmi throws a bunch of PCI-errors). If the controller has been disabled (jumper on mb) then the system boots "fine".

During boot/post i get this error:

Unable to load Avago Technologies MPT BIOS
MPT BIOS Fault 05h encountered at adapter PCI(02h,00h,00h)

Does anybody know what the "05h" fault is?? i cannot find any info on the fault codes.

i have tried to read up on what to do and i have tested to re-flash the firmware to the controller with sas2flash in uefi shell but it doesnt work. it says that "chip is in fault state" and "firmware fault occurred. fault code: 2655". Good news is that it actually sees the chip. Are there any way to reset the chip?

20220713_115916.JPG

i have tried to erase the firmware, flash new firmware (IT ver 20), disabled option boot in bios and tested re flashing but nothing worked.

Anybody got any ideas what to try. Or is it bye and goodnight and go an buy a new one.

Any ideas is appreciated.

Thank you

Mikael

i cant seem to edit the post. this is the error i get from ipmi when booting with sas controller active

SENSOR_NUMBER: 00
SENSOR_TYPE: Critical Interrupt
SENSOR_NAME: 0x0
EVENT_DESCRIPTION: PCI SERR@Bus00(DevFn09)
EVENT_DIRECTION: Assertion
EVENT SEVERITY:"Warning"

/Mikael

neofusion

Contributor
Here's a blogpost from someone writing about the same error message even though the chip doesn't match exactly:

Perhaps it might be of help?

Edit:
There's also this anecdote:

Last edited:
Here's a blogpost from someone writing about the same error message even though the chip doesn't match exactly:

Perhaps it might be of help?
thank you. i have seen that one and tested but no luck for me. only difference that i can see is that he is using fw 19 and im trying with fw 20. cant seem to find an older one to try with.
/Micke

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If all else fails you could always disable the onboard controller and pick up a used HBA off ebay relatively inexpensively to keep your system going.

If all else fails you could always disable the onboard controller and pick up a used HBA off ebay relatively inexpensively to keep your system going.
Yes I'm looking in to that as well. And I'm trying to source one locally so I can get it going before the weekend.