Sanity check my first build please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naskolnikov

Dabbler
First off i want to thank the people sharing their knowledge. I am very greatful for you taking your time to help me out.

Given the insights provided in this thread i have updated the proposed shopping list as follows;

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F.

CPU: Intel® Xeon® processor D-1521, embedded CPU, a fan will be added to the heatsink.
Memory: 1x16GB Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CPB, DDR4, unregistered ECC, 2133MHz.
PSU: Seasonic G-550.
Case: Fractal Design Node 304.
Disks: 6xWD Red 3TB, configured in RAID-Z2.
Boot device: 2x32GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit, USB 2.0, attached to a USB 2.0 Adapter. I was going for 16GB but since FreeNAS 10 might like 32GB i will spend a whopping 6,72€ extra just in case. The M.2-option would be 75.90€ for the cheapest available drive, the USB-option is 27,09€.
Total price: 1428,62€ + shipping. More expensive than my current workstation. I guess that calls for saving up some more money and get a new workstation down the road.

In light of these updates, if anyone have any objections speak now or forever hold your peace (as in; i will probably order the computer tomorrow).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sounds good.

joeschmuck

Old Man
FreeNAS 10 is said to recommend at least 32GB boot devices.
Really? I've not heard that yet but then again I'm trying to keep my distance from the Beta. I've tried it a few times but I really like my FireFox so the GUI is really letting me down. I don't think 32GB is unreasonable with respect to availability and I'm curious if the 32GB value is coming to light just because it's a popular size for the folks testing it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think it was bumped to 32GB because the installs have been creeping up in size. About a year of updates from 9.3 to 9.3.1 ended up being around 10GB, so 32GB seems like a good minimum recommendation for 10.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I think it was bumped to 32GB because the installs have been creeping up in size. About a year of updates from 9.3 to 9.3.1 ended up being around 10GB, so 32GB seems like a good minimum recommendation for 10.
Naw, I don't agree. I have been running with a 10GB boot drive for quite a while now and I've only used 1.2GB of space. This includes 5 versions in the boot volume. People need to clean up their updates and not leave them hanging around. Also, I believe there is an automatic cleanup now although I have not tested it myself (indicated by the "Keep" in the boot volume page). So I still believe 4GB is the recommended minimum however my personal recommended drive size would be 8GB just so a person could retain maybe 10 boot versions. Like I said before, I think the 32GB size is just because it's a popular size but has nothing to do with true minimum or recommended size limits.

Naskolnikov

Dabbler
Thanks alot for the input guys and gals. Next post from me will hopefully not be in the Help & Support - Installation forum.

Stux

MVP
4GB is a bit too easy to run out of space... only takes a couple of updates. Which is why I'm using mirrored 16GB USBs for all my FreeNAS builds so far.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
One nice thing about extra space in the boot device is that it gives you more room for boot environments, which are added with updates.
And running out of space can be a big hassle, while having extra space is no problem at all.

joeschmuck

Old Man
One nice thing about extra space in the boot device is that it gives you more room for boot environments, which are added with updates.
And running out of space can be a big hassle, while having extra space is no problem at all.
Agreed however too large of a space can become a hassle as well when there are too many boot environments and if you are using USB Flash Drives, it takes a lot of time to clean these left over files up. It's best to clean up old files periodically. I guess I'm just use to good house cleaning practices.

Naskolnikov

Dabbler
So this is going splendid...

Got my gear delivered, unpacked it and assembled most of it. Did some memtest86 yesterday and today the plan was to put in the harddrives, stress the CPU and see if the cooling is sufficient, considering the air intake is mostly blocked by the six harddrives. Before i begun i noticed an option to do IPMI via LAN1 instead of the IPMI-port, which seemed a lot nicer. So now i can't access IPMI and the computer won't receive an IP-adress from my router. A couple of years ago i threw away my last VGA cable and for some reason resetting the BIOS does nothing. Unless my coworker has a cable i can borrow over the weekend i guess i will have to take a detour and buy one on my way home from work tomorrow.

But hey, at least memtest did not show anything wrong with my memory so that's something to cheer for.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

joeschmuck

Old Man
I assume you have tried the IPMI port as well? And I agree, it could have a different IP address and likely will since the MAC address would be different.

Naskolnikov

Dabbler
Positive. My router didn't display any new IP address that it had handed out but just in case that report was bugged i even had IPMIView do a full scan on the network but nothing answered. I also tried disconnecting the power cable, let it chill for a minute and then reconnect and restart with the IPMI port plugged in instead (actually, i plugged in LAN2 and tried that one too). My bet is that i forgot something silly in the BIOS, like checking that LAN1 is actually enabled.

Mirfster

Ahh... One sec... Is this the Motherboard you are talking about here? If so, it has "2 10GbE LAN ports" and an IPMI Port.

Just recently, I was informed that the 10GbE LAN Ports should still function on a 1Gb Switch/Router. So, I guess my question is what Make/Model is your Router and can it do 1Gb? If not, then my guess is that is where the problem may be.

Normally, the dedicated IPMI Port is 10/100 and not 1Gb so maybe that is why it worked on your Router and the 10GbE NICs do not...

If this is the case, then you can just pickup a cheap Gb switch and use that in between or even get a faster router...

Naskolnikov

Dabbler
My router is a COMPAL CH7486E but who knows, i guess we will find out soon enough since my coworker was nice enough to bring me a VGA cable today. Since i am curious by nature i guess that means i will have to leave work early today. Like right now...

Mirfster

Okay, the specs show "Ethernet 10/100/1000 Base-T connections" so you should be good on that part...

Now, how about the jumpers on the Motherboard? They should be enabled by default, but worth checking.

There is actually another thread with the same motherboard and same issue.
"Can't get intel 10gbe NICs on network w/9.10.1 or 10-beta"

You can ignore my first couple of responses, since I was incorrect about 10Gb not working on 1Gb Switch/Router
Jumper settings are in Post#7 that you can check to see if the NICs are indeed enabled

Mirfster

Also, I guess that it may be worth asking (just in case)... The ethernet cable is at least CAT5e right? Not using CAT3 hopefully...

Should see if you can borrow a cable from the IT Guy just to have in case.

Naskolnikov

Dabbler
Not using CAT3 hopefully...

Let me remind you of what i wrote in my first post...
when it comes to hardware i am hopelessly out of the loop
...before i admit, not without embarrassment, that i have no idea but have to assume the cable is too old since i have not bought any network cables for years. In fact, i did not even know there were any newer models for me to buy.

Mirfster

Hope you are not thinking I am being mean? I am actually one of the *nicer* contributors (in my mind at least..) ;)

As far as the cable goes, most actually have it written on the cable itself as to what "CAT" it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.