BUILD My First FreeNAS Build...sanity check and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

briandm81

Dabbler
I've been researching and contemplating FreeNAS for a long, long time. I just got the finance committee (my wife) to approve my FreeNAS build! So before I go drop a ton of money and have components that might not be the best, I figured I would post my options here and see if anyone can identify any issues. I also have a few questions.

Before I get to the build, this server will be the fourth in my home lab. You can see the specs for the other three servers here:

http://www.hyperionepm.com/the-lab

I'll start off with the purpose of my build. First, my current hardware RAID array is getting down to around 10% free space, so it is time for an expansion. I have 12 x 2TB drives in RAID 6 giving me around 18.7TB of formatted space. Second, and more importantly in the short term, I need a network storage solution to do some benchmarking.

My original choices included the following:
SuperChassis 846TQ-R900B
(2) E5-2670 @ 2.6 GHz
Intel S2600CP Motherboard
128GB RAM (16 x 8GB)
Noctua i4 Heatsinks
Intel AXXRMM4 Remote Management Module
(2) SanDisk Cruzer 16GB CZ33
Intel P3605 1.6TB
Twinax Cable
(2) Intel X520-DA2
(5) Noctua NF-R8
(3) LSI 9210-8i
(10) 5TB Toshiba X300
(6) Mini-SAS Breakout
CyberPower 1500VA UPS

The problem I encountered with this plan is that the more I read abou the S2600CP, the more I really have reservations. First, the PCIe slots are suspect depending on your bios version. I'd rather spend a little more and just have a board that works without issues. This takes me to my new option. Basically everything above with the following differences:

Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+
192GB RAM (24 x 8GB)
(2) LSI 9210-8i

This option allows me to add 64GB of RAM and saves a PCIe slot by using the on-board C606 SAS. But...ill the C606 work well with FreeNAS and will it play nice with the 5TB Toshiba drives. So if it will do both of those things, this will likely the direction I go. If either of those things are not true, my backup option would be this:

Supermicro X9DR7-LN4F-JBOD
128GB RAM (16 x 8GB)
(2) Supermicro AOC-2308-l8e

This gives me three 2308 controllers to work with, still saves a slot, but limits me to 128GB of RAM for now. I could eventually go with 256GB if I wanted to spend an additional $800, but for now, I think 128GB should be plenty for now.

So a few more concerns or questions. For this pass, I plan to first set up a single drive vdev and zpool for the purposes of benchmarking. Basically I'm going to take my P3605 and set it up to max out my 10GB network. I'll have four 10GB links to work with. The first one will be connected to my X1052 switch to connect it to the network for general file sharing. The other three links will be used with Twinax DAC cables directly to my other three lab servers. So I will dedicate a 10GB link for each server for iSCSI.

My ten (10) 5TB Toshiba drives will be set up in a single vdev in RAIDz2 in a single zpool. This will facilitate back-ups and any media or file sharing I wish to have. I will also reconfigure my existing 20TB hardware RAID array to backup the most important things from my 40TB array. So basically half of my back-ups will have another set of backups in a separate physical server. Right now, that consists mostly of Veeam backup files of all of my various virtual machines. I keep two weeks of daily backups of most.

Finally, I'll be setting up another vdev and zpool that will be stripped only to provide data stores for my three ESXi hosts. I have SSD's in all of those servers, so this will be a test to see how I like the performance of a network-based data store. Initially I thought about setting up an array of eight (8) 2TB HGST drives and put an L2ARC and SLOG in front of it for performance. This would give me quite a bit of space to work with and hopefully good performance.

My other option would be to get eight (8) Intel S3700 400GB drives and put them into stipped vdev. This gives me 3.6TB of raw storage and most likely some great performance. I'll have backups of all of the VM's over to my 40TB array (and eventually my 20TB) array, so I'm okay with no redundancy. This is a test lab, so if that array goes down and has to be rebuilt and restored, so be it. Downtime won't be an issue. I won't have anything mission critical on this array.

My final option for this new data store array would be to get 8 or 10 Samsung SM843T 480GB drives and do the same stripped vdev. These are cheaper than the S3700 and provide more capacity. This gives me 3.8TB of raw storage. I assume with either of these options, I likely won't need an L2ARC or SLOG...I hope.

So....thoughts? Concerns? Suggestions?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Instead of the 846TQ chassis, look at the 846E16 with the SAS2 expander backplane. That way, you'll only need a single HBA (or, if you use the JBOD board, no additional HBA).

briandm81

Dabbler
I actually have one of those on my second ESXi box. I selected the TQ because I have heard issues related to the expanders and SATA drives. Specifically when mixing SAS and SATA. I actually have the TQ on the way, so I'm probably not returning it...

danb35

Hall of Famer
If it's already on the way, then I guess the decision is made. The rat's nest of cabling in my 826TQ convinced me to go for an expander backplane when I upgraded to a larger chassis.

briandm81

Dabbler
And honestly, I like the flexibility of being able to connect the bays to different things. I love my Norco 4224 for that reason. The TQ is a little messier, but a far better product than the Norco.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
My ten (10) 5TB Toshiba drives will be set up in a single vdev in RAIDz2 in a single zpool.
Personally I think that a 10 Disk RaidZ2 vDev is a bit on the wide side. I would opt for 2 x 5 Disk RaidZ2 vDevs, but that is just me... Yes you will lose a little space. Maybe consider a 10 Disk RaidZ3 vdev?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Instead of the 846TQ chassis, look at the 846E16 with the SAS2 expander backplane. That way, you'll only need a single HBA (or, if you use the JBOD board, no additional HBA).

The BE16 is probably a "safer" choice. The rats nest you get with the TQ is why I like to steer people towards the gorgeous multilane cabling.

Sakuru

Guru
I selected the TQ because I have heard issues related to the expanders and SATA drives. Specifically when mixing SAS and SATA
I love my SC846BE16-R920B, no issues so far.

briandm81

Dabbler
So on the on-board C606 SAS. Will that support > 2TB drives or not? I might still go with that board because I'd like to have the extra memory slots, but I might end up with 16 dimm board with a built-in 2308. Thoughts?

briandm81

Dabbler
So rather than worrying about SAS issues and the C606, I opted to just go the on-board 2308 path. I also went with 16GB dimms at a little bit of an extra cost, but now I can go to 256GB in the future. I also picked up a pair of 2308 controllers to go with it. So I'm slowly getting all of my parts ordered...can't wait to get started.

pro lamer

Guru
crosspost, my apologies
@briandm1:
Hi!
Have you ever tried any 2TB or 3TB 2.5" SATA HDDs with the SAS motherboard connectors eventually?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.