BUILD Advise on a new build - replacing a ReadyNAS Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoopyJuice

Cadet
Hi,

I've currently got a ReadyNAS Pro Business edition with 6x1TB disks in XRAID2 giving me ~3.86TB of usable space, my issue is:

It's full
It's loud
It's power hungry (disk spindown doesn't work well with the disks in it, i get errors when scrubbed if i use it) - uses around 110W so i'm reluctant to leave it on 24/7
Its a core2duo that can't handle transcoding much more than 1x720p stream using PLEX

My proposed replacement/usage:

• Supermicro X10SL7-F
  • E3 1275 v3 (I know the on die GPU is irrelevant with the boards IMPI stuff but its the only one in stock where i'm getting everything from and I don't mind the extra clockspeed)
  • Crucial 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 Unbuffered ECC (On Crucial's compatibility list for the X10SL7-F)
  • 6x 3TB Western Digital Red disks in RAIDZ2
  • Lian-Li PC-V358B MicroATX Cube Case
  • Corsair 430w CXM builder hybrid modular PSU (bronze efficiency, from the charts I looked at, bronze-gold difference is pretty pathetic in real terms)
  • 60GB Kingston SSD for the FreeNAS OS (not really any more expensive than a decent USB disk so i might buy a couple and keep backups or even RAID1 them if thats possible with the OS disk feel free to weigh in here)
Hopefully this will give me something that can transcode 1080p PLEX streams if necessary, ~12TB of redundant storage that can saturate a gigabit ethernet link, and when not in use should idle down to 1/3rd of the wattage or so of the readynas and potentially extra power for some other stuff in jails if needed.

Any comments, complete mistakes or cockups i've made in the above or does it seem sound?

Thanks

no_connection

Patron
I'd use the SSDs for Jail and .system and get a USB stick for OS. I use SanDisk Cruzer Edge which is cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.