Samsung memory and Supermicro

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlairEL

Dabbler
Hi all,

I have been trying to track down and additional 16GB (2x8GB) memory modules for my Freenas setup on a supermirco X10sl7-f.

I found some reasonably cheap samsung memory with the PN#M391B1G73QH0-YK0. This memory is not in the compatibility list, and im wondering if that is likely to cause a problem or not?

I currently have CT2KIT102472BD160B (16GB, 2x8GB), but can't seem to track down an additional 16GB, at a reasonable price. so I thought buying a whole new set of 32GB of this samsung RAM may be a better option.

Any thoughts or advice?
Blair.

My system
FreeNAS-11.1-U4
Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O. Xeon CPU E3-1226 v3 @ 3.30GHz
Crucial 2x8GB Pc3-12800 Unbuffered ECC
5x Western Digital Red 4.0TB RAID-Z2
2x SanDisk 16GB USB 3.0 Boot-mirror
3x Samsung 128GB SSD (jails, downloads, L2ARC)
Corsair RM7500i Gold PSU
Fractal Design Define R6

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Finding memory is fairly easy using Kingston's and Crucial's memory finding "utilities"
found at their websites. You input your motherboard's make and model number and
there will be a list from each manufacturer for compatible RAM for your board.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hey @BigDave,
I'm guessing that it is a problem of finding it in stock. I was looking for some of these type modules earlier this week and two of the three vendors I went to were out of stock.
I found them on the Server Supply site.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Inxsible

Guru
I found some reasonably cheap samsung memory with the PN#M391B1G73QH0-YK0. This memory is not in the compatibility list, and im wondering if that is likely to cause a problem or not?
I just mentioned this in another thread today, but I bought 2 sticks of Crucial DDR3 RAM for my Tyan S5533 board without knowing that a memory compatibility list existed. YMMV.

lukeren

Explorer
I've just got a Supermicro X9DAi board running on a frankenstein mixture of DDR3 ECC Registered memory that I harvested from all kinds of servers, seems to run fine.
With that experience, I've gone ahead and ordered a bunch more from ebay. Won't know if I'm still in luck till next week though.

The compatibility lists usually only have what they know works, and in Supermicros case, the lists are awfully short.

Inxsible

Guru
I've just got a Supermicro X9DAi board running on a frankenstein mixture of DDR3 ECC Registered memory that I harvested from all kinds of servers, seems to run fine.
With that experience, I've gone ahead and ordered a bunch more from ebay. Won't know if I'm still in luck till next week though.

The compatibility lists usually only have what they know works, and in Supermicros case, the lists are awfully short.
It should work fine. And you are right, the lists are awfully short, probably because
  1. they can't test every make,model of the RAM sticks with every board. OR
  2. in order for the RAM manufacturers to sell at a higher price compared to some other brand that's not on the list.

BlairEL

Dabbler
righto, thanks for the advice, I will give them a go and report back.

BlairEL

Dabbler
did not work unfortunately...

Status
Not open for further replies.