Safe to upgrade to 11.3?

pschatz100

Guru
@amp88 Thanks. I ran a couple of tests using basic copy commands and yes, the problem with last modified time and date is there. It doesn't affect what I do, which is why I didn't notice it.

The referenced post was an interesting read, and suggests that this behavior appeared in the update from 11.3-Release to 11.3u1. There are other problems with 11.3-Release, so I would suggest you stay where you are (11.2u7) unless there is some reason for you to update to 11.2u8. Personally, I do not update my system unless something that matters to me is fixed, or a new feature that I want is implemented - which is why I stayed on 11.2u7 until 11.3u1.

By the way, the created date always gets updated when a file is copied to a new location - even on my Windows machine. It does not change when a file is "moved" from one Windows directory to another.

amp88

Explorer
By the way, the created date always gets updated when a file is copied to a new location - even on my Windows machine. It does not change when a file is "moved" from one Windows directory to another.
I use Directory Opus as a Windows Explorer replacement, so that might change the behaviour, but I don't know. Copying or moving a file from a Windows 10 Pro client to a FreeNAS 11.3-RELEASE SMB share preserves the file creation date, and so does copying or moving it from the Windows 10 Pro client from one drive to another locally.

pschatz100

Guru
I use Directory Opus as a Windows Explorer replacement, so that might change the behaviour, but I don't know. Copying or moving a file from a Windows 10 Pro client to a FreeNAS 11.3-RELEASE SMB share preserves the file creation date, and so does copying or moving it from the Windows 10 Pro client from one drive to another locally.
It must be that behavior depends upon the utility being used. I never thought about it before. Good catch. I was just using File Explorer on a Windows 10Pro machine. Anyway, this is something to keep an eye on.

dnilgreb

Contributor
How about now? 11.3-U2 is out, and it claims to have fixed a lot of bugs, and SMB is at the top of the list. Anything that should keep me from updating now? And what about upgrading jails? Anybody running into any problems there? What if I don´t upgrade them? They are all on iocage, but some are 11.3 and some are 11.2.

pschatz100

Guru
I just updated from 11.3-U1 to U2. Using File explorer, copies still work the same as before... The File Created and Accessed dates get updated to the time of the copy but the Modified date remains unchanged.

The update went smoothly for me, and a number of functions feel a bit faster.