Issues with Creation of Jails/Plugins after update to 11.3

RobTheRed

Dabbler
My FreeNAS box has been working for me since the days of FreeNas 7. The upgrade to 11 went well (except for all of my old jails no longer working). I had everything setup again, but I was running into some permissions issues when trying to manually create Jails. I was at least able to use the Plugins for Plex, Sonarr, Radarr.

Fast forward to 11.3U1 upgrade. Once installed my previously existing plugins no longer worked. They were giving me permissions errors on startup. I figured, no big deal, I can delete them and recreate them as manual jails using the fn11-3-iocage-jails-plex-tautulli-sonarr-radarr-lidarr-jackett-transmission-organizr thread. Unfortunately, when the jails are manually created and try to start I get
Code:
plex: [EFAULT] + Starting services FAILED ERROR: [b'jexec: execvp: /bin/sh: Permission denied\n', b'']
Refusing to start plex: exec_start failed

The only solution I've found is to spin up an ubuntu VM and install the services in there, but I'd really like to get back to native jails for most of the services (if possible). I've looked through the /var/logs but I haven't found much of anything to write home about. I have all of my jails full access by media and all of the jails are using the media user to access the data. I'm at a loss and I've been fighting with this for over a month now.

I have 2 jails that work (Jackett and Organizr) but these were setup before I upgraded from 11.2 -> 11.3. I'm scared to mess with these as none of my new Jails/Plugins seem to be working.

RobTheRed

Dabbler
Does anyone have a suggestion? Should I do a clean reinstall and just re-import my pool and start from scratch?

ultrask14

Dabbler
bump, me too.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
11.3 is not a supported FreeBSD version, anymore. So you won't be able to install packages, anyway. Why don't you upgrade to TN 12? It is the same product, just a name change / re-branding ...

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Did you read the release notes before upgrading? Your jails and plugins don’t work because before 11.3, jails used the warden jail manager, which was abandoned upstream. 11.3 switched to iocage. There’s a migration script, /usr/local/bin/migrate_warden.py, but it may be better to delete and rebuild your jails from scratch.

ultrask14

Dabbler
I appreciate that this post refers to updating from 11.3 - however I am currently getting this same error but without having updated.

All installed jails as of this morning wont start, upgrading them from the GUI gives me the error:
Code:
Error: + Starting services FAILED ERROR: [b'jexec: execvp: /bin/sh: Permission denied\n'] Refusing to start syncthing: exec_start failed