Rysnc from Windows -> FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmontalvo

Dabbler
I'm thinking of using DeltaCopy to rsync "My Documents" from a Windows PC to a FreeNAS 8.2 box. It seems to me that the task should be pretty straightforward. Yet, I've looked through the docs and forums. I don't see a clear answer. :-\ Could someone help me quickly over this hurdle?

I could use Microsoft's SyncToy, but would prefer rsync. Thanks in advance to any and all who offer thoughts/ideas.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sooo... you have no question and you didn't even pose a problem.. so what are you wanting???

I just wrote a rather long post about migrating from Windows to FreeNAS and I used deltacopy(although I didn't mention it specifically). If you follow the FreeNAS manual and the section for setting up rsync you should be able to figure out what you need to do on the server side and on the client side and set it up accordingly. I had never used rsync before and I got it on the first try.

gmontalvo

Dabbler
Sooo... you have no question and you didn't even pose a problem.. so what are you wanting???

I just wrote a rather long post about migrating from Windows to FreeNAS and I used deltacopy(although I didn't mention it specifically). If you follow the FreeNAS manual and the section for setting up rsync you should be able to figure out what you need to do on the server side and on the client side and set it up accordingly. I had never used rsync before and I got it on the first try.

Hey noobsauce ... I've read a number of you posts. Thanks for helping out the community. I've actually read your post about migrating from Windows; at least I think I did. I've also read the "manual" regarding rsync (both man page and FreeNAS docs).

I want to setup client backups of Windows PC's to my FreeNAS box using rsync. Although I have read the manual (and a number of forum posts), I do not know what to enter into the fields depicted in the attached screen. If you've setup rsync from Windows to FreeNAS, could you explain what you entered into each of the fields for the attached screen?
rsync.jpg

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you follow section 4.4 it will guide you through exactly what fields need to be filled out and how.. Of course, you won't be doing the PUSH from FreeNAS so you'll have to read the steps for PUSH and interpret them for Deltacopy.

gmontalvo

Dabbler
Thanks ... I will take another look. Perhaps just knowing I am looking in the right place will be the push I need. I'll post back and let you know how it goes.

gmontalvo

Dabbler
Ok ... I've got it. I'm using the rsync module for now, but next I may try moving to SSH. Then I will be able to backup anywhere in the world (provided I open the right port on my router). ;-)

Anyway, there were two pieces that were not initially clear to me. I will state them here in a hopes that someone else reads and is able to (more) quickly configure their own FreeNAS box.

1. The "Configuring Rsync Module Mode Between Two FreeNAS® Systems" really means "Configuring Rsync Module Mode Between Two RSYNC Systems"

2. "Rsync Tasks" under the "System" tree control on the left, is NOT where the rsync server module is configured. Instead it is configured under the "Services" tree control on the left (image attached).

screenie.jpg

Irvin Daniel

Dabbler
hey cyber can you please explain using rysnc to deltacopy.................. to copy file from nas to pc.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
hey cyber can you please explain using rysnc to deltacopy.................. to copy file from nas to pc.

Not really. This thread is over a year old, and I don't do support for Deltacopy. I'll tell you that my thread explains everything fairly well and using the FreeNAS manual if you understand(and not just regurgitate the information) you should be able to figure it out the first time. I had no experience with rsync, yet my first try I succeeded.

Locking this thread as we don't like necroing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.