Rsync and Deltacopy over SSH. Windows to FreeNAS push. Connection Issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been testing, successfully, rsync backups from Windows machines to our FreeNAS at the home office. Initially, we used Deltacopy client/server on the Windows machine to create a copy of the critical data, then used the FreeNAS to pull the data from that directory to the FreeNAS. We started testing without SSH and everything is fine that way, but I obviously can't use that as a secure backup plan. So, we started testing a Push from the Windows machines directly to the FreeNAS. Without SSH, everything works fine. When I use SSH, I get the infamous 'Unable to fetch directory names. rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)'.

To make it more interesting, the first time I attempt a connection to the FreeNAS appliance without SSH, it works. If I then try to establish a connection via SSH, it fails. Then, if I go back to without SSH, it still fails.

Additional parameters in Deltacopy are -e "ssh -l (user) -i (keyname)"
SSH is on in FreeNAS
Rsync is on, ports are all setup.
Rsync module is configured. I've tried the username that is in Deltacopy, root, other created usernames.
I've tried different groups *(specifically daemon and wheel)

It's very strange to me. I apologize if this has been discussed already. I searched the forums and didn't see this specific problem.

If anyone is able to point me in a direction, it is much appreciated. I can post logs from our syslog appliance and from Deltacopy if needed.

Thanks

BobCochran

Contributor
Michael, what version of Windows are you using?
I am not familiar with the capabilities of Deltacopy. I wonder if you have an ssh client installed on the Windows host that you want to push from?
I don't think rsync is on any version of Windows, does Deltacopy provide an equivalent? You would have to have that on the Windows machine.
Assuming this is a modern version of Windows, you would also need to do some firewall configuration.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Michael, what version of Windows are you using?
I am not familiar with the capabilities of Deltacopy. I wonder if you have an ssh client installed on the Windows host that you want to push from?
I don't think rsync is on any version of Windows, does Deltacopy provide an equivalent? You would have to have that on the Windows machine.
Assuming this is a modern version of Windows, you would also need to do some firewall configuration.
Although this thread is a month old I can lend a hand with the questions you have about delta copy. It does indeed install rsync on windows. It can be configured as a server or client. I have it configured on 3 machines in my home network to provide backup service for these computers. I am not, however using rsync built into FreeNAS for this. I have a VM configured with backuppc that handles all the dirty work. When configured properly, it works wonderfully.

As to your comment about an ssh client. I am not aware of any way to push/pull data through an ssh client on windows, without getting into using cygwin -shudder-. Rsync/deltacopy does indeed work but I don't know about directly talking to FreeNAS. I will gladly configure a client and do some testing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

BobCochran

Contributor
The usual way to get an ssh client on a Microsoft Windows host is to install pUTTY. Or is it called PuTTY? I've used it several years ago and it worked great at that time. SSH is a very popular method for remote logins from Windows boxes; the SecureCRT product uses it. I'm sure there are other commercial products that incorporate SSH into their software. I use SecureCRT 6.x at work from a Microsoft Windows XP host and I like it.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
LOL.

I know PuTTY. I have over 24 VMs on my home network (only 4 of them are windows boxes), and manage several physical machines (Mac, Linux, Windows, etc)...SSH is my life. I also push code to github/bitbucket using SSH.

This got me looking around, and while it may not be anything the OP wants to look at as an alternative, I found this little project kind of cool. I am about to spin up a VM and test this out.
http://web.synametrics.com/Syncrify.htm
http://web.synametrics.com/SyncrifyVsDeltaCopy.htm

Ugh. Never mind, not liking those prices.

sorry for all the edits, but I just found this little piece of info for the OP:
http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DisplayFAQ.do?fid=32

enemy85

Guru
Although this thread is a month old I can lend a hand with the questions you have about delta copy. It does indeed install rsync on windows. It can be configured as a server or client. I have it configured on 3 machines in my home network to provide backup service for these computers. I am not, however using rsync built into FreeNAS for this. I have a VM configured with backuppc that handles all the dirty work. When configured properly, it works wonderfully.

As to your comment about an ssh client. I am not aware of any way to push/pull data through an ssh client on windows, without getting into using cygwin -shudder-. Rsync/deltacopy does indeed work but I don't know about directly talking to FreeNAS. I will gladly configure a client and do some testing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Sorry to re-open a 6 months old thread (CJ is gonna kill me probably...), but it's releted to the OP question.
I'm trying to configure Deltacopy backups over ssh to my freenas box, but i can't make it work...
I'm able to rsync without SSH making the rsync service from freenas working, and i'm able to ssh to my freenas box with my windows pc with cygwin, but not able to make things to work at the same time!
I read you where able to set properly DeltaCopy to work over ssh...would you PLEASE be so kind to help me figure out where i'm wrong? Thanks

I'm sorry, I let this thread go by the wayside, as we started testing over a VPN connection instead of using SSH. Our schema is basically the same, except now we connect the VPN cliet, then start a Deltacopy task to sync with a virtual directory on our machine running Active Directory, then we rSync that to the FreeNAS box frequently so we have current backups (up to an hour in the past). While we were never able to get Deltacopy to work properly over SSH, my continued reading showed that it CAN work, but it is very clearly a pain in the.... That said, if Deltacopy is something you want to use, I recommend it. It packages the rSync protocol and cygwin, and does a good job of it (in my opinion). Also, since I've seen TONS of threads across the internet about something similar or exactly like the problems we had, I would love to see everyone who has knowledge of the things build a guide for those having issues. Being that Deltacopy is free, FreeNAS is free, and most all of us need to sync a Windows machine now and then, it would be of huge value to the world. Also, thanks for everyone who delivered input. Pirateghost, how went your testing? I would be happy to setup another client/server connection to assist. (But seriously, VPN made it way easier.)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I actually set up 3 Windows desktops with FreeNAS talking directly to the delta copy servers.

Rsync task on the FreeNAS pulls from the delta copy server on the desktops

Sent from my Nexus 5

We also got it working that way, without SSH. Were you able to get it going with SSH? Also, one key point I left out in my original post was doing this over the internet, not on the local lan.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
No. I don't use ssh on the windows desktops for that. As far as connecting over the internet, i would use a VPN as well. No good way of doing it any other way

Sent from my Nexus 5

enemy85

Guru
We also got it working that way, without SSH. Were you able to get it going with SSH? Also, one key point I left out in my original post was doing this over the internet, not on the local lan.
I was also able to set it working as both of you suggested, with deltacopy server and freenas pulling the backups, but actually i have the same necessity of backups over WAN that's why i need SSH.
Concerning VPN, i was able to set openvpn working on my nas box, but i noticed it was even more slower than usual and so was almost impossible to think a backup over WAN that way, plus everytime i had to manually connect the vpn while i wanted something working automatically once properly set...
It would be great to find a solution at the end...i'll be glad to try at least if you could give me any ideas...

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I was also able to set it working as both of you suggested, with deltacopy server and freenas pulling the backups, but actually i have the same necessity of backups over WAN that's why i need SSH.
Concerning VPN, i was able to set openvpn working on my nas box, but i noticed it was even more slower than usual and so was almost impossible to think a backup over WAN that way, plus everytime i had to manually connect the vpn while i wanted something working automatically once properly set...
It would be great to find a solution at the end...i'll be glad to try at least if you could give me any ideas...

Have a look at OwnCloud or BTSync

enemy85

Guru
Have a look at OwnCloud or BTSync
I already had a look at owncloud, got the plugin running already, but never thought at it as backup solution. Does it work over SSH too?
I'll give a look to BTSync too, but i'm looking for something working over WAN, automated and sure.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I already had a look at owncloud, got the plugin running already, but never thought at it as backup solution. Does it work over SSH too?
I'll give a look to BTSync too, but i'm looking for something working over WAN, automated and sure.
Honestly you should be using a VPN when transferring over WAN connection and should NOT under any circumstances leave your NAS connected to the Internet with open ports

Sent from my Nexus 5

enemy85

Guru
Honestly you should be using a VPN when transferring over WAN connection and should NOT under any circumstances leave your NAS connected to the Internet with open ports

Sent from my Nexus 5

what VPN program would you recommend? OPENVPN on Freenas is ok or there is something working better? and for the client pc? Thanks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
what VPN program would you recommend? OPENVPN on Freenas is ok or there is something working better? and for the client pc? Thanks
I use openvpn, but not on FreeNAS because I don't believe in making my FreeNAS box do more than serve files.

As for the client, if you use an openvpn server, you need to use openvpn on the client side as well

Sent from my Nexus 5

enemy85

Guru
... While we were never able to get Deltacopy to work properly over SSH...

I did it! I make it work!!!
After other TONS of researches i found this thread over deltacopy forum where a GENIUS guy, finally found a solution!
As he clearly states : "DeltaCopy is hanging because ssh.exe is prompting that the server to which it's connecting doesn't have its key stored in the local cache (first ever time connecting) and it wants confirmation that the key should be stored - but all this interaction cannot be seen so DeltaCopy is stalled. The solution is to open a DOS command prompt, navigate to the DeltaCopy folder and copy/paste the Run Command from DeltaCopy into the DOS window to run the first sync operation manually so you can see the prompt and respond to it. Having done that, the DeltaCopy runs fine for susequent syncs."
I tried as he said, and it works perfectly, the only issue i still have to solve, is that the program seemed not to be able to create on his own on the freenas box the directory where it had to store the backups, but once manually created it worked!

Hope this information is gonna be useful for someone else!

vasureddy619

Dabbler
I did it! I make it work!!!
After other TONS of researches i found this thread over deltacopy forum where a GENIUS guy, finally found a solution!
As he clearly states : "DeltaCopy is hanging because ssh.exe is prompting that the server to which it's connecting doesn't have its key stored in the local cache (first ever time connecting) and it wants confirmation that the key should be stored - but all this interaction cannot be seen so DeltaCopy is stalled. The solution is to open a DOS command prompt, navigate to the DeltaCopy folder and copy/paste the Run Command from DeltaCopy into the DOS window to run the first sync operation manually so you can see the prompt and respond to it. Having done that, the DeltaCopy runs fine for susequent syncs."
I tried as he said, and it works perfectly, the only issue i still have to solve, is that the program seemed not to be able to create on his own on the freenas box the directory where it had to store the backups, but once manually created it worked!

Hope this information is gonna be useful for someone else!

what run command shall i copy / paste from deltacopy, i couldn't understand this please help me out i am stuck over here. could you pls elaborate

enemy85

Guru
what run command shall i copy / paste from deltacopy, i couldn't understand this please help me out i am stuck over here. could you pls elaborate
the command that comes out when u right click on your profile and choose "RUN"

Status
Not open for further replies.