Running in VMware Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC1

Cadet
I installed FreeNAS-8.0.1-BETA4-amd64 into a VMware (v7.1.4) FreeBSD 64-bit VM.

FreeNas VM specs-
Memory: 4GB
System disk: 2GB persistent
Storage disks: 4 x 1GB SCSI persistent, pre-allocated space

The OS installs and FreeNas boots up.
I attempt to create any type of ZFS volume in the GUI, I get the error message:

Error: [MiddlewareError: Unable to GPT format the disk "da1"]

Any insights as to what I'm doing wrong?

TC1

Cadet
No one else has been able to run FreeNAS 8 in VMware Workstation?

i use VirtualBox. however you need disks that are larger then 1 GB, try a 10 GB file, just don't allocate all of the storage. if i remember right, FreeNAS reserves 2 GB of space for it's own uses.

TC1

Cadet
i use VirtualBox. however you need disks that are larger then 1 GB, try a 10 GB file, just don't allocate all of the storage. if i remember right, FreeNAS reserves 2 GB of space for it's own uses.

Thank you sir. Your hunch and explanation why was dead on.
I tried researching issues with formating disks and limitations but didn't come across this tidbit of information. I recreated the 4 disks as 5GB in size and was then able to create ZFS volumes.

Thanks again.

joeschmuck

Old Man
No one else has been able to run FreeNAS 8 in VMware Workstation?

I have been running it just fine for months. Guess you found the error being the data drives are too small at 1GB. They need to be at least 2GB each and you would have to change the swap file to 1GB before creating your volume/pool, or you need larger that 2GB drives. I run four 20GB drives and one 4GB boot drive, 4GB RAM, 2 processors, Network Adapter set to Bridged. None of the drives are pre-allocated as I have a SSD it runs on. I use this setup to test software add-ons and when I'm done, revert it back to a virgin setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.