Run TrueNAS In a VM under a Type1 Hypervisor

HXM

Cadet
I'd like to take the laptop mention below, split the existing physical drive into two logical drives.
On the first logical drive Host a Type 1 Hypervisor, Win10 VM, Linux VM, a NAS VM (TrueNAS) and leave enough free space to experiment with other VMs.
On the second logical drive hosts my data (pictures and document) that would be served to the Win10 VM and Linux VM by the NAS VM (TrueNAS as a VM).

It sounds straight forward. Can it be done? If so, how? What software components can I use?

Can TrueNAS run in a VM under a type 1 Hypervisor?
Can TrueNAS be assigned a logical drive or must it always have the entire physical drive?

Thanks

Hewlett-Packard HP ENVY dv7 7250US Notebook PC
BIOS Version F.2E
BIOS Date 9/7/2016
MOTHERBOARD Model 181C
MOTHERBOARD Version 52.24
MEMORY 8 GB
STORAGE ST2000LM015-2E8174
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
GRAPHICS Intel® HD Graphics 4000
AUDIO Intel® Display Audio
High Definition Audio Device
NETWORKING AND I/O
TAP-Windows Adapter V9
VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1
VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8
Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
Intel® Wireless Bluetooth®
Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Version (Build) 20H2 (10.0.19042)
Boot in EFUI
C:\ drive has windows 10, Applications and supporting libraries. (212GB, 58.9GB free)
D:\ drive has all of my Data (Docs, Pictures, Virtual Machines, …). (1.59TB, 408GB free)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
MEMORY 8 GB

If your laptop only has 8GB, this will be a misadventure.

FreeNAS and TrueNAS really need 16GB of RAM all to themselves, although may be able to run on 8GB.

But it sounds to me like you already have a lot of stuff on this laptop. A type 1 hypervisor will wipe all that out.

If you had a 32GB RAM hypervisor, yes, you could probably run ESXi on your laptop, create a 12GB TrueNAS, an 8GB Win10, and follow the gameplan described in

but you need to realize that your laptop will be dedicated to use as a hypervisor. It will not be presenting Windows on its console or any GUI, just the hypervisor console.

What I suspect you're looking for is something more along the lines of VMware Workstation, a type-II hypervisor. And, yes, TrueNAS can be made to work under that, but still needs 8-16GB of RAM assigned to the VM, and you should follow the guidance in

if you care about your data.

HXM

Cadet
If your laptop only has 8GB, this will be a misadventure.

FreeNAS and TrueNAS really need 16GB of RAM all to themselves, although may be able to run on 8GB.

But it sounds to me like you already have a lot of stuff on this laptop. A type 1 hypervisor will wipe all that out.

If you had a 32GB RAM hypervisor, yes, you could probably run ESXi on your laptop, create a 12GB TrueNAS, an 8GB Win10, and follow the gameplan described in

but you need to realize that your laptop will be dedicated to use as a hypervisor. It will not be presenting Windows on its console or any GUI, just the hypervisor console.

What I suspect you're looking for is something more along the lines of VMware Workstation, a type-II hypervisor. And, yes, TrueNAS can be made to work under that, but still needs 8-16GB of RAM assigned to the VM, and you should follow the guidance in

if you care about your data.

I had planned to backup my data to an external USB drive first, before reformatting the drive. The Maximum memory this laptop can take is 16GB, it needs a minimum of 32GB.
My idea is not possible on this laptop.
Thank you for your prompt response.