removing VM crashes TrueNAS Scale

billimek

Cadet
I'm running TrueNAS Scale 22.02.2.1 and am stuck looking for help. I have a VM that I'm trying to remove and every time I try to remove the VM, the system freezes. Every time I try to remove the VM 'PCI Devices', the system freezes.

It _appears_ that the PCI devices associated with the VM correspond to the host SCSI controller and SATA controller. I absolutely did not add these devices to the VM and want to remove the VM but have been unsuccessful every time.

Code:
root@truenas[~]# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
00:01.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x8 Controller (rev 06)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Controller
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family ME Interface #1
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-V
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #2
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev d0)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev d0)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev d0)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #1
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Z97 Chipset LPC Controller
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SATA Controller [AHCI Mode]
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT26448 [ConnectX EN 10GigE, PCIe 2.0 5GT/s] (rev b0)
03:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Sandisk Corp WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD (rev 01)
04:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 41)
06:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)

When I try to remove the devices or delete the VM, tailing syslog on the local console I see messages related to the system losing connection to the boot-pool which seems to suggest that using the UI to remove a PCI device from a VM also interferes with the corresponding host device which, in this case, makes the system unusable and forces a reboot. If this assumption is true, I can't understand how this is good behavior.

What can I do to properly and safely remove this VM from the system?

1657371965049.png

1657372399581.png

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
When I try to remove the devices or delete the VM, tailing syslog on the local console I see messages related to the system losing connection to the boot-pool which seems to suggest that using the UI to remove a PCI device from a VM also interferes with the corresponding host device which, in this case, makes the system unusable and forces a reboot. If this assumption is true, I can't understand how this is good behavior.

Its not good behaviour.....
Do you know how the VM was set-up and the PCie devices were attached?

The devices attached don't seem to be PCie peripherals (normal) and instead are PCIe bridges/switches (not normal)

It may be a linux or KVM bug - or just a logically untenable configuration.
Moving boot device away from the pcie devices might be possible....but that is just an educated guess.

You should attach a full description of your hardware.... someone more expert than me may have ideas.

billimek

Cadet
Do you know how the VM was set-up and the PCie devices were attached?

The VM was originally set-up intended to be a windows OS with GPU passthrough. Initially I tried setting-up the iGPU but that failed, so I added an nvidia 970 GTX GPU. I was unsuccessful getting GPU passthrough to work with that too. As far as I know, those were the only two "PCI" type devices I tried to add to the VM.

Later, I checked the VM device list and saw around 20 PCI devices listed. I didn't add those and was confused. I tried to delete the VM which led to crashes. After a couple of reboot/delete cycles, the number of PCI devices listed for that VM was eventually reduced to the two shown in the screenshots above. Perhaps after an upgrade or some other 'event', the additional PCI devices were somehow added/associated with the VM. It's alarming that this happened because I'm not sure how those got to be added in the first place and I'm worried about this happening with other VMs.

The hardware is:

• Motherboard: Z97X-UD3H
  • CPU: Intel i7-4790K
  • Memory: 32 GB DDR4
  • NIC: Mellanox Connectx-2 (MNPA19-XTR) PCI card (10GB)
  • GPU: eVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 970
  • Bunch of WD HDs, an nvme SSD, and regular 3.5" SSD

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
The VM was originally set-up intended to be a windows OS with GPU passthrough. Initially I tried setting-up the iGPU but that failed, so I added an nvidia 970 GTX GPU. I was unsuccessful getting GPU passthrough to work with that too. As far as I know, those were the only two "PCI" type devices I tried to add to the VM.

Later, I checked the VM device list and saw around 20 PCI devices listed. I didn't add those and was confused. I tried to delete the VM which led to crashes. After a couple of reboot/delete cycles, the number of PCI devices listed for that VM was eventually reduced to the two shown in the screenshots above. Perhaps after an upgrade or some other 'event', the additional PCI devices were somehow added/associated with the VM. It's alarming that this happened because I'm not sure how those got to be added in the first place and I'm worried about this happening with other VMs.

The hardware is:

• Motherboard: Z97X-UD3H
  • CPU: Intel i7-4790K
  • Memory: 32 GB DDR4
  • NIC: Mellanox Connectx-2 (MNPA19-XTR) PCI card (10GB)
  • GPU: eVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 970
  • Bunch of WD HDs, an nvme SSD, and regular 3.5" SSD

I haven't heard of this happening before...
If you don't get any suggestions today, "report a bug"
If the boot device is associated with the pcie device... it would seem to require some surgery.
Which specific devices are still attached to the VM..
In removing the VM.... did you you power down 1st. It would be useful to show the screens if you go through the process carefully.

Acronys

Cadet
Exactly same issue for me. I can't find a solution.

Even by shell with
Code:
service vm delete
, truenas middleware go into crash loop.

Can't find anything in log

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Exactly same issue for me. I can't find a solution.

Even by shell with
Code:
service vm delete
, truenas middleware go into crash loop.

Can't find anything in log

I assume it was resolved follwoing the instructions in another thread.