Free NAS 8 in Server 2012 Hyper V VM no network connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

suicidegybe

Cadet
I just installed Windows Server 2012 on a spare machine which has dual intel NIC's I have installed Hyper V and set up a virtual network with one of the NIC's. I then set up and installed Free NAS 8 as a VM I had to give the VM a legacy network adapter as Free NAS does not support the default adapter. So this is where I'm stuck the VM is getting an IP address from my router as I can see the lease on my routers list but I am unable to access Free NAS's web GUI or even ping it's IP address. What am I missing? the only reason I'm running it in a VM is to get familiar with the GUI while I'm waiting on my disks to arrive before I set up a 12TB NAS. But now I want to figure out why it's not working. Thanks for the help.

OutS|der

Cadet
legit server hardware?

What do you mean legit?

Yes all server hardware.

I got it to connect to the net,had to use a legacy Network device, then bring the interface down and back up through the shell to get it connect.
Now I don't know how to add all 16 HDD's. Added a virtual SCSI but don't know to get that working
Disks show up when added as IDE but you're limited with that so only other option in Hyper V is the SCSI Controller

gpsguy

Search the forum, via Google using - site:forums.freenas.org hyper-v support

Looks like it won't be supported until FreeNAS 9.2, at the earliest.

OutS|der

Cadet
Yeah I just found that thanks.

What other options are there to run FreeNas in a VM and be able to use my 16 HDD's?

gpsguy

FreeNAS in a VM? You'll find a number of discussions here, about using ESXi 5.x. And, it seems like once a week or so, someone shows up here and says, I'm running FN as a VM under VMware and now "I" have major problems.

Again, do a Google search of the forum for "ESXi jgreco" and make your own conclusions.

Given your massive setup, I recommend running FN on bare metal and adding a separate server to handle your virtualization needs.

pbucher

Contributor
FreeNAS works fine under ESXi 5.x. I've got 5 FN production servers running as virtual SANs for my ESXi & Oracle servers serving up 25TB worth of disk space. That said you gotta give FN the resources it needs to run properly and use a configuration that makes sense for the underlying hardware(in other words don't install it in VM with 512mb of RAM and expect it to work and don't try making multiple VM disks for a zpool on a datastore sitting on a RAID 5 array). I highly recommend using a hardware setup that supports pass through and a dedicate LSI disk controller passed through to the VM. My original prototype box I use as a house server has been running FN on ESXi 5.x without issue since the 8.2 beta days.

Same issue here.. has anyone been able to get networking to work? Or are we stuck until 9.2? It's weird because FN sees the legacy network adapter, I can IP it, but no ping. I know it's not Hyper-V because my other VMs work just fine.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Same issue here.. has anyone been able to get networking to work? Or are we stuck until 9.2? It's weird because FN sees the legacy network adapter, I can IP it, but no ping. I know it's not Hyper-V because my other VMs work just fine.

Actually, it is Hyper-V that's the problem. In particular, its virtual hardware isn't compatible with FreeBSD. Go thank Microsoft for creating their own proprietary type 1 hypervisor, then not supporting a wide range of hardware with it.

If you read http://forums.freenas.org/threads/a...ide-to-not-completely-losing-your-data.12714/ you'd see that Hyper-V is mentioned specifically as a very bad choice for FreeNAS.

Before you go further with virtualizing you should read that thread (and the thread it links too) fully and completely. If you aren't going to do(and not do) the things in that thread, don't expect much support from the forum if things go bad. We've see enough people lose everything that we know recovery odd are 0%. That's why jgreco was nice enough to make that thread as words of warning for would-be virtualizers.

Thanks.. I did read that thread and understand.. I would never run FN as a virtual machine in Production... this is simply a test in our dev lab. The end goal is to use a laptop for temp NFS storage as needed. Mostly for swing migrations and P2Vs between our clients and us. Looks like I am stuck though.. I am going to try Openfiler and Ubuntu Server as well.. otherwise I may just run FN on the bare metal. Or other suggestions for portable temp NFS storage?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No other suggestions. FreeNAS works great as a portable temp NFS storage(as many others like NAS4Free are too).

Status
Not open for further replies.