rsync exclusions: success/fail

ericg75

Explorer
Trying to exclude all occurrences of "Thumbs.db" and ".DS_Store". Screen shot attached. Dry run yields SUCCESS, but when I do a real run: it FAILS (log file attached). I have consulted the rsync reference- not getting it right. What can I do to straighten this out?

Code:
2023/08/09 13:28:36 ERROR : PHOTO_LIBRARY/2023/.DS_Store: Failed to copy: file name ".DS_Store" is disallowed - not uploading
2023/08/09 13:28:37 ERROR : Dropbox root '': sync batch commit: failed to commit batch length 1: batch had 1 errors: last error: path/disallowed_name

Attachments

• TrueNAS_Exclude_error.PNG
    TrueNAS_Exclude_error.PNG
    67.6 KB · Views: 93

artlessknave

Wizard
file name ".DS_Store" is disallowed - not uploading

it looks to me like its checking all the file names first, which triggers whatever this is. why use rsync instead of cloud tasks?

ericg75

Explorer
It appears to me that it is using Cloud SyncTasks- From the screen shot: "TASKS / CLOUD SYNC TASKS / EDIT".

artlessknave

Wizard
do cloud sync tasks use rsync? because you specifically titled the thread as rsync...i didn't notice the GUI location was cloud sync.
some quick googlefu seems to indicate that this is likely rclone.
you do seem to have it excluded though so...hmm.
maybe the wildcard confuses it? they are always .DS_Store, right? I'm not you need the * at all.
this post seems to indicate that **.DS_Store might work.

ericg75

Explorer
Yes, the Cloud Sync Task has the "exclude" options at the bottom of that screen- and those excludes HELP show it is rSync. I will give your suggestion a try. This is certainly NOT a big deal- just looking for the convenience of not having those files copied up to Dropbox. Thank you- /Eric

artlessknave

Wizard
those excludes HELP show it is rSync
how? I don't see anything there that indicates it would rsync, the webUI is abstracting all of that out. additionally, rsync has no cloud capabilities to my knowledge, whatsoever.
I am 98.697% sure it's rclone. it's fairly likely that rclone is built using rsync code.