Rotational Vibration, RPM, and Noise HDD choice question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rovopio

Cadet
hi guys... i'm about to build my 1st PC. the boot drive is in SSD, and the hdd drive will be used for storage. I will buy 2 or 3 internal HDD for this storage.

I read reviews that WD Red HDD is ideal for a quiet PC because its less noisy than a seagate barracuda. I'm leaning more towards barracuda because of it's higher RPM. But i'm also being sold on reading WD red description on their website.

there are a couple of questions that's nagging me though.

1) i just finished reading WD red drive review link wd red review. the reviewer said "WD Red don’t employ rotational vibration sensors, which is another reason they're being positioned as solutions in smaller storage systems, and not big racks loaded down with spinning disks that weather more severe vibrations.".

After reading that i googled the meaning of rotational vibration sensors. and then i read this link RV sensor.

It said "Additionally, enterprise-class drives must also maintain high performance levels in multi-drive configurations where physical vibrations transmitted through a cabinet occur. This phenomenon is known as Rotational Vibration (RV)..... RV itself is a twisting/torqing type action experienced by a hard drive inside a cabinet...... The main sources of RV energy are: 1) the drive’s self-actuation 2) additional drives inside the cabinet accessing data, and 3) external forces acting on the cabinet."

basically.. my question is um... i'm going to buy a total of 2tb drive x 3 or 4 in the next couple of months. So i will "stack couple drives" on my case.
Should i be concern about Rotational vibration if i choose WD Red when i "stack 3 drives" on my rig...?
Does WD green / WD blue / Seagate barracuda have a rotational vibration sensor? or is that RV sensor an enterprise-drive only feature?

=======
2) I read that seagate barracuda is noisy for storage. If i'm watching a video file, will the HDD get noisy if i choose barracuda over red / green?
==> When does HDD emits noise? does it emits noise all the time or only when its being accessed? what's the definition of being accessed? does watching video file considered being accessed?

3) i always thought that all things being equal, a 7200 RPM will have better transfer rate than a 5400 RPM, is that wrong?
==> by transfer rate i mean copy / paste-ing large files between drives. For an internal SATA drive does RPM matters to the speed of copy / paste-ing large files?

=====
i know my build isn't a NAS but um i was a notebook user before a month ago i decided to buy a PC for myself. i couldn't tell left from right regarding what PC components does what and which ones suits my needs. Extensively googling since then. I wanted to build a NAS probably someday, because i hv to take it slow from all this new knowledges i'm learning from building a PC

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I have 24 WD Green drives in my server for 3 years running and no regrets... Any questions? LOL

All of this info has been discussed in detail around here. I'll let you read that thread as I'm not about to start another "buying hard drives is like chosing a religion" BS.

Rovopio

Cadet
I have 24 WD Green drives in my server for 3 years running and no regrets... Any questions? LOL

All of this info has been discussed in detail around here. I'll let you read that thread as I'm not about to start another "buying hard drives is like chosing a religion" BS.

tq for replying. its not WD vs Seagate. tbh i could care less about the brand itself, i've had 2.5" external drive and laptop drive fail on both. However... this is going to be my 1st PC build. a month ago i couldn't tell left from right about PC and it's components usages. all i know is that i wanted to make a Quiet system.

Reading WD red review led me to the "WD red doesn't employ RV sensors". and then googling RV sensors led me to this article link RV sensor.

so yeah its more an RV sensor / noise question rather than the brand itself. i've never had a pc, people around me doesnt hv PC either. So i dont know how "noisy" a seagate barracuda actually is.

More importantly, how important is an RV sensor feature in a hdd? how safe is it to stack multiple drives of WD red considering it doesn't have RV sensor... and whether RV sensor is a common feature that all desktop-drives has and only WD red doesn't or whether it's an enterprise-drive feature and no desktop-drive has?

================
i'm sorry that i repeat my 1st post in this reply to you. i dont know how to reply to you in a clear and concise way. but its not about the brand at all. its about RV sensor, stacking multiple drives for PC (and eventually for a NAS), and the noise.
i'm really new to all of this PC building... please try to understand. for context didn't even know what power supply does and what SATA means a month ago.

cheersss

rcarterii

Dabbler
So, to my knowledge RV sensors are in the Enterprise drives.

Cyber was mentioning the WD Green drives because they don't have RV sensors and his have been running for 3 yrs.

I've has both WD and Seagate drives and honestly, I couldn't tell a difference in noise. But the reason for that could be because I have just toned it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You missed the short point of my post. I'm using WD Greens. That means no RV sensor, slower RPM, etc etc etc. And they are working flawlessly.

I consider the RV sensors to be unnecessary for most people. The higher the RPM the more cooling you will need, the more watts you'll use for the hdd and fans, etc. Read the other thread that's around here. It's titled "WD Green vs WD Red" or something like that.

Rovopio

Cadet
You missed the short point of my post. I'm using WD Greens. That means no RV sensor, slower RPM, etc etc etc. And they are working flawlessly.

I consider the RV sensors to be unnecessary for most people. The higher the RPM the more cooling you will need, the more watts you'll use for the hdd and fans, etc. Read the other thread that's around here. It's titled "WD Green vs WD Red" or something like that.

exactly.. i'm not missing your point. i just don't have enough knowledge to understand what you were saying hehe :D .it's also why i mentioned being new to PC building / components and didn't know left from right a month ago.
i did google but i couldn't find any answer about what drives other than WD red that doesn't have RV sensor. that's why i posted here.

i barely knew it yesterday than HDD emits significant enough noise if i want to build a quiet PC and what RV sensor means. About NAS... i always want to have a NAS but i'm taking it step by step...

With that out of the way i'd like to ask...

1) Is that RV sensor an enterprise-drive only feature? So green / red doesn't have RV sensor. that's good to know. How about Seagate barracuda?

2) When does HDD emits noise anyway? does it emits noise all the time or only when its being accessed? what's the definition of being accessed? When i watch video file, will seagate barracuda be noisier than WD green?

3) this quote by the above article "physical vibrations transmitted through a cabinet occur. This phenomenon is known as Rotational Vibration (RV)..... RV itself is a twisting/torqing type action experienced by a hard drive inside a cabinet...... "

im still not clear, what does it mean by a cabinet? is it the very big server cabinet seen on TV / office... or cabinet also refer to stacks of drives on a NAS / mid / full-tower PC?

4) Does physical vibrations occur on a home PC with multiple drives?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
All of those questions are answered in that thread I mentioned. I keep saying read that thread.. I'm really serious. That thread is like 15 pages long...

Status
Not open for further replies.