Root Mount Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasmyass

Cadet
HI,

I installed FreeNAS 8.3.0 on a 16gb flashdrive using this method: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Burning_an_IMG_File#Using_Keka_and_dd_on_an_OS_X_System

I also tried the newest beta with the same result.

But I get the following error:
########################
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a
ROOT MOUNT ERROR:
If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and first try the following from
the loader prompt:

set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

and then remove invalid mount options from /etc/fstab.

Manual root filesystem specification:
<fstype>:<device> Mount <device> using filesystem <fstype>
eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
eg. cd9660:/dev/acd0
This is equivalent to: mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /

? List valid disk boot devices
<empty line> Abort manual input

mountroot>

########################
I cant input after that error message and i have tried to input the suggested fix by going to the prompt and then boot.

Everything runes USB 3.0 and i have tried with the fix from: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Known_Issues

My specs are:
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A85X Extreme 6
CPU: AMD A4-5300
USB Drive: transcend JF 780 16GB

Do help, as i am about to go nuts.

AustinPowers

Dabbler
Install hangs - can anyone help? Details inclosed... ;)

Hi everyone.
:)

Trying to install FreeNAS on a Gigabyte E350N miniITX motherboard with 8GB of RAM, 2.5TB WD Green HDD, 4GB USB flash-drive.

I have burned the ISO for x32 using ImgBurn.
CD boots fine.

Then, all I get is the following text prompts, and the system hangs and never fully boots:

CD Loader 1.2

Building the boot loader arguements
Looking up /BOOT/LOADER... File not found
Looking up /boot/loader... Found

This just sits there forever, and never moves from this point.

Does anyone have any ideas?

PLEASE bear in mind, that I am a Windoze user, so lots and lots of Linux or BSD scripts will be TOTALLY lost on me, so please keep it simple.

EDIT: Just tried burning the x64 version, thinking that perhaps this was needed for the support of the 2.5TB drive, but exactly the same issue - won't boot.

Any ideas?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
First thing I'd try is disabling USB 3.0. It's disabled by default for a reason. :P

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi everyone.

Trying to install FreeNAS on a Gigabyte E350N miniITX motherboard with 8GB of RAM, 2.5TB WD Green HDD, 4GB USB flash-drive.

I have burned the ISO for x32 using ImgBurn.
CD boots fine.

Then, all I get is the following text prompts, and the system hangs and never fully boots:

CD Loader 1.2

Building the boot loader arguements
Looking up /BOOT/LOADER... File not found
Looking up /boot/loader... Found

This just sits there forever, and never moves from this point.

Does anyone have any ideas?

PLEASE bear in mind, that I am a Windoze user, so lots and lots of Linux or BSD scripts will be TOTALLY lost on me, so please keep it simple.

EDIT: Just tried burning the x64 version, thinking that perhaps this was needed for the support of the 2.5TB drive, but exactly the same issue - won't boot.

Any ideas?

You didn't include the version of FreeNAS you're trying to use.

nasmyass

Cadet
No USB 2.0

Thanks for the reply,

If i disable USB 3.0 in the bios the same thing happens.

(I am at work now i cant post a detailed error log)

I just remembered that before the Root Mount Error it posts this line:

hpt27xx: no controller detected

AustinPowers

Dabbler
@ nasmyass and others - In my case, the motherboard does not have any USB3 ports, so they are all USB2. :)

ProtoSD

MVP
I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like a USB3 problem. I seem to recall seeing this here before. I just wanted to verify that you were both using FreeNAS 8.3.

AustinPowers

Dabbler
Just a little extra information and one question:

INFO: I am using a SATA DVD-ROM drive to install from, NOT an external USB one, if that helps at all - did not mention that above.

Q: Does it matter what the BIOS thinks the SATA mode needs to be? I have it set to AHCI - perhaps it needs to be plain old IDE just for the initial boot-up?(then FreeNAS's own SATA drivers would take over, I would expect)

ProtoSD

MVP
AustinPowers said:
Does it matter what the BIOS thinks the SATA mode needs to be? I have it set to AHCI - perhaps it needs to be plain old IDE just for the initial boot-up?(then FreeNAS's own SATA drivers would take over, I would expect)

I have seen that make a difference, you can certainly try disabling AHCI and see what happens.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, I'd expect AHCI to work fine because AHCI is supposed to be backwards compatible. But since protosd says he's seen it make a difference I guess it does matter for some situations. Maybe some manufacturers don't handle the backwards support very well.

paleoN

Wizard

paleoN

Wizard

AustinPowers

Dabbler
IT'S WORKING!!!!!

I changed the BIOS from AHCI back to "Legacy IDE", and away it went happy as Larry.

I am now sitting at the installation screen, so have yet to install it to the 4GB USB drive, but will do that now, and post back with the results.

ANOTHER Q: As I have 8GB of RAM(planning to add another 8GB soon-ish) and all drives will be 2.5TB at least, am I correct in assuming that I need the 64-bit version of FreeNAS, as 32-bit can only access 4GB of RAM and 2TB of HDD space?

...or is that more a Windoze condition?

cyberjock

Inactive Account

nasmyass

Cadet
Care to tell us what the two ports above the eSATA port are?

If I'm not mistaken this would disable all your USB 3.0 ports, no?

When I use the USB 2 on the back of the board I cannot select my USB drive as a boot device.

I have similar issue. The difference is Loader variables section. Please see the details below:

########################
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a
ROOT MOUNT ERROR:
If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and first try the following from the loader prompt:

set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

and then remove invalid mount options from /etc/fstab.

Loader variables:
vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a
vfs.root.mountfrom.options=ro

Manual root filesystem specification:
<fstype>:<device> Mount <device> using filesystem <fstype>
eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
eg. cd9660:/dev/acd0
This is equivalent to: mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /

? List valid disk boot devices
<empty line> Abort manual input

mountroot>

########################

Any help solving this would be great as I have critical data on a zpool I created and running on FreeNAS 8.3.1. This issue was faced when I upgraded my motherboard, processor, and RAM because the previous motherboard won't accept more than 4GB of RAM.
Thanks!

Dusan

Guru
Did you change hardware (motherboard), or did you change any BIOS setting? If not, then your USB stick is maybe corrupted. Reinstall FreeNAS, if the problem persists, try another USB stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.