Reverting to a checkpoint in ownCloud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiz

Explorer
I clicked on the update to 10.x.x within ownCloud instead of waiting for an update to the plugin. Now I get a message saying the following:

"This version of ownCloud requires at least PHP 5.6.0
You are currently running PHP 5.5.16. Please update your PHP version."

Can any one of you file fellas tell me how to get ownCloud working again? It took a snapshot prior to the update, so I just need the commands to run to restore that snapshot. Thank you in advance!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Snapshots are listed in the storage tab in the GUI. Just click on the appropriate snapshot and click on the "roll back snapshot" button. It's covered in the user guide.

Raiz

Explorer
Snapshots are listed in the storage tab in the GUI. Just click on the appropriate snapshot and click on the "roll back snapshot" button. It's covered in the user guide.
That's kinda the problem. There is no GUI. When I go to the IP that usually brings up ownCloud, all I see is the text showing above. Any way to get to the GUI?

Wait, are you talking about the FreeNAS GUI? I only want to revert to the ownCloud snapshot that it took prior to my trying to update to the newest version of ownCloud. I definitely don't want to revert to an older FreeNAS snapshot unless there is no way around it.

I mean, why would ownCloud take a snapshot if there was no way to revert to it?

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
From the FreeNAS GUI, you select a snapshot made of the ownCloud Jail, and revert to that snapshot.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Raiz

Explorer
There don't appear to be any ownCloud snapshots available to revert to within the FreeNAS GUI. I was able to manually create one, but since I just did it, it would be a snapshot of the already broken setup, correct?

The only shapshots I see are the ones from when I've updated from FreeNAS 9.3 to 11.0. Will reverting to the 11.0 snapshot mess with any of the data I've saved since that snapshot, or will it simply change the jails back to the configuration from that snapshot and not mess with the data?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I was able to manually create one, but since I just did it, it would be a snapshot of the already broken setup, correct?
That is correct.
The only shapshots I see are the ones from when I've updated from FreeNAS 9.3 to 11.0.
Those are boot environments. They are what is created when you update. If you activate one of those it will revert the base OS to the previous version from when it was created.
Will reverting to the 11.0 snapshot mess with any of the data I've saved since that snapshot,
No
will it simply change the jails back to the configuration from that snapshot and not mess with the data?
The only way you can revert a jail (dataset) to a previous version is if you have a snapshot of it. If you didn't create one there's nothing to revert to.

You really should read the users guide......

danb35

Hall of Famer
So the confusion here is because OP used the word "snapshot", which has a special meaning with ZFS (and thus FreeNAS). Owncloud didn't take a ZFS snapshot. It may have made a backup before it replaced files. And I'd guess the Owncloud docs and/or forums would explain what needs to be done to revert to that backup.

Raiz

Explorer
So the confusion here is because OP used the word "snapshot", which has a special meaning with ZFS (and thus FreeNAS). Owncloud didn't take a ZFS snapshot. It may have made a backup before it replaced files. And I'd guess the Owncloud docs and/or forums would explain what needs to be done to revert to that backup.

Correct. The ownCloud "self-snapshot" that it made prior to the backup is what I want to restore to, however when I googled how to back it up, all I found were Ubuntu commands that didn't work from the shell in FreeNAS. I was hoping someone here knew how to revert to the ownCloud snapshot that gets automatically taken BY ownCloud prior to the update.

Nick2253

Wizard
In ownCloud world, these are checkpoints, not snapshots.

The manual provides instructions on how to do this: https://doc.owncloud.org/server/10.0/admin_manual/maintenance/update.html

Importantly, the first warning box in the manual includes:

Downgrading is not supported and risks corrupting your data! If you want to revert to an older ownCloud version, install it from scratch and then restore your data from backup. Before doing this, file a support ticket (if you have paid support) or ask for help in the ownCloud forums to see if your issue can be resolved without downgrading.

Raiz

Explorer
The only way to resolve the issue without downgrading would be to update my PHP version. Anyone that can point me to a good way to do this?

Nick2253

Wizard
From within the jail, you should be able to install either PHP 5.6 or PHP 7.1 using pkg. Make sure you run this from within the jail. Do NOT run this from the main FreeNAS system.

First, update everything: pkg update && pkg upgrade

This alone might fix it. If not, you'll need to change the PHP version. Check the installed version with: pkg query '%o %v'. The line for PHP should show something like lang/php 5.5.16

Let us know what you see.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
He's running the plugin, the dependencies are tied to the older version of php. Only way around this is wait for an update or do a manual install and restore your data.

Nick2253

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.