SOLVED So is there a way to update Owncloud PHP version to 5.6 on FreeNAS 11.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sesipod

Contributor
I have been trying for the past 2 hrs to update to owncloud 10.0.3 with no success :(

I have installed php56 inside of the jail but php info web page still shows 5.5.16 as being the active version. I have tried to change the php.conf to be PHP_VER=56 & PHP_VERSION=5.6.32. If I run php -v it shows that I have 5.6.32 :o but I guess there is a config file that I am missing?

Thanks for any help or input!

FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE (FreeNAS.amd64) #0 r321665+815c6537f68(freenas/11-stable): Mon Oct 30 22:14:29 UTC 2017

danb35

Hall of Famer
How did you install Owncloud? If from the plugin, I don't think there's a good way to update individual packages inside that jail.

sesipod

Contributor
How did you install Owncloud? If from the plugin, I don't think there's a good way to update individual packages inside that jail.

Yes I used the plugin to install owncloud.
I know you can use pkg to install updates and such.. There seems to be something coded into apache2 somewhere that is keeping it at php55 5.5.16

adrianwi

Guru
If you are planning to use ownCloud long term, and not just to play with, I would strongly suggest using this guide - https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-owncloud-using-nginx-php-fpm-and-mysql.17786/- and set it up yourself in a jail.

You'll have complete control over updates, can run whatever version of PHP you like (although don't know why you'd use anything less than 7.0), and it will be significantly faster than the plugin which uses Apache and SQLite. You can also harden the security with SSL and Fail2Ban relatively easily.

Whilst it might look a little daunting if you're not used to FreeBSD, the guide is pretty straightforward and you'll learn some stuff along the way that will be useful for other things with FreeNAS/FreeBSD ;)

sesipod

Contributor
Can I run updates from within owncloud?

adrianwi

Guru
You can try! I've kind of given up trying to update ownCloud within the app, as it fails more often than it works.

It's only about 10 quick steps to update it from the jail CLI and works every time.

sesipod

Contributor
You can try! I've kind of given up trying to update ownCloud within the app, as it fails more often than it works.

It's only about 10 quick steps to update it from the jail CLI and works every time.

Sry - I was more so saying form the manual setup of a Jail could I use the update feature then ?

I know that the update feature works in the plugin but it breaks after updating to 10.0.3 ;p

adrianwi

Guru
It's quite a whilst since I used any of the plugins, but I never had great success updating them.

The updater build into ownCloud has never worked that well for me either, but its very easy to update it inside a manual jail by running the following commands:

Code:

# mv /usr/local/www/owncloud /usr/local/www/owncloud-bak
# fetch "http://download.owncloud.org/community/owncloud-10.0.3.tar.bz2" (changing this to the version you want)
# tar jxf owncloud-*.tar.bz2 -C /usr/local/www
# rm owncloud-*.tar.bz2
# cp /usr/local/www/owncloud-bak/config/config.php /usr/local/www/owncloud/config
# chown -R www:www /usr/local/www/owncloud
# chsh -s /bin/sh www
# su www
# php /usr/local/www/owncloud/occ upgrade

sesipod

Contributor

Redcoat

MVP
Not for me either.

Last edited:

sesipod

Contributor

sesipod

Contributor
Got it all working :) Thanks for the help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.