SOLVED Reverse proxy for TrueNas Scale

gorrunyo

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm sure my question is trivial and is documented somewhere but after some search in the forums and google I couldn't find what I'm looking for.

I just installed TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.3 and enabled both NextCloud and Plex official services. They are up and running and can be accesses through ip:port addresses.
Now, I have DNS domain A and CNAME name records for each of these applications and a router port redirection to the TrueNax box.

I could not find though hot to redirect accesses to these application FQDNs to the right ip:port in TrueNas.
In other systems I used a reverse proxy (nginx) and I see that the community app repository provides Traefik network manager for this purpose.

But I couldn't find how to do it with the ixSystems provided applications.

Any help or pointer to the right documentation will be very appreciated.

Thanks

dgrigo

Dabbler
nginx is already installed with nextcloud , using the official charts, i can use my domain fine with emby and nextcloud, in next cloud use your domain name instead of ip and choose your generated crt.
the try your domain/9001 , to see it goes fine, for windows i use a host file on nas and windows hosts to my domain.
tell me if this helps, I amd not talking about trucharts, but official charts apps.

hope it helps

mgoulet65

Explorer

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
the community app repository provides Traefik network manager for this purpose.
TrueCharts isn't a community app repository... although they do accept/encourage community feedback and contribution to their work.

I don't see any reason to see TrueCharts as any less valid than the "Official" apps... perhaps even some reasons to see them as a more complete and comprehensive solution that provides/exposes many more of the options of kubernetes than offered by the official charts/apps.

dgrigo

Dabbler
I don't see any reason also to move from official, as it is I have a fully functional EMBY , the nginx is already in truenas as it serve the web interface, so i have my https with my subdomain by using conf.d with port, and with some modifications on deployment and emby's system config i can enable host networking so even dnla is working! why I need more options ?
same with nextcloud too...
tell me 1 reason that i need something that's available in truecharts.

btw , I am not bashing truecharts nor the community behind it, so I am thankful that it exist ! maybe in the future I have some need that's not available on official charts.
more of us , more knowledge flowing around! I just came from Synology as I don't like were they headed, I had a backup freenas, now i have a truenas scale too as my main server.

And thank you for suggestion :)

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
tell me 1 reason that i need something that's available in truecharts
I'm not here to sell you TrueCharts.

nginx is already in truenas as it serve the web interface, so i have my https with my subdomain by using conf.d with port, and with some modifications on deployment and emby's system config i can enable host networking so even dnla is working! why I need more options ?
You may find it annoying to re-do your changes when the system updates. Your choice though.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You may find it annoying to re-do your changes when the system updates.
...or even when you reboot the system, as pretty much everything in /etc/ is overwritten at boot. Edit: never mind, I was thinking of the main system/s nginx installation, but @dgrigo was using nginx in the Nextcloud.

@sretalla, for this reason, system reboots and upgrades won't affect these customizations, but updates to the Nextcloud app could.

Last edited:

truecharts

Guru
TrueCharts isn't a community app repository... although they do accept/encourage community feedback and contribution to their work.

We are definately a community App Catalog. Everything is build and maintained by our community, which is almost 4K people strong on discord.
Just like any piece of opensource, most work is done by a small group of people, but that's the same with any community repository.

We're not "the" community Apps catalog (that would actually be rather silly), but we're definately "a" community catalog. Not just a small group accepting input/PR's.

I don't see any reason to see TrueCharts as any less valid than the "Official" apps... perhaps even some reasons to see them as a more complete and comprehensive solution that provides/exposes many more of the options of kubernetes than offered by the official charts/apps.

From a technical perspective: both are "just" third party Helm Repositories. With the same pro's and cons that come with third party helm repositories.
In that regard, we feel the term "official" is also giving people the wrong impression that iX Apps/Charts are sanctioned by the creator of said applications, which they are not (in most cases!).

I don't see any reason also to move from official, as it is I have a fully functional EMBY , the nginx is already in truenas as it serve the web interface, so i have my https with my subdomain by using conf.d with port, and with some modifications on deployment and emby's system config i can enable host networking so even dnla is working! why I need more options ?
same with nextcloud too...
tell me 1 reason that i need something that's available in truecharts

In short:
You might simply not need that.
However: there are a lot of users that want features not available in official Apps (ingress/reverse-proxy support, resource limits, build-in vpn support etc) or simple want apps that are not available on the official catalog (we've 750+ Apps, vs the dozen in the official catalog).

But there are also inherent design differences: For example, Our App for Nextcloud is a LOT more performant, by having Redis and the High-Performance-Backend for files integrated into the App where official has not.

On top of that, without wanting to bash iX at all, our developers and support staff are actually basically available for issues 24/7 and often respond in less than 12 hours. Whereas iX, officially, is only available via Jira Tickets (though do respond on personal messages, the forums and discord from time-to-time, it's not always the case)

We never said we where a one-stop-shop for everyone and every usecase. But there are definately cases to be made for both catalogs ;-)

dgrigo

Dabbler
We are definately a community App Catalog. Everything is build and maintained by our community, which is almost 4K people strong on discord.
Just like any piece of opensource, most work is done by a small group of people, but that's the same with any community repository.

We're not "the" community Apps catalog (that would actually be rather silly), but we're definately "a" community catalog. Not just a small group accepting input/PR's.

From a technical perspective: both are "just" third party Helm Repositories. With the same pro's and cons that come with third party helm repositories.
In that regard, we feel the term "official" is also giving people the wrong impression that iX Apps/Charts are sanctioned by the creator of said applications, which they are not (in most cases!).

In short:
You might simply not need that.
However: there are a lot of users that want features not available in official Apps (ingress/reverse-proxy support, resource limits, build-in vpn support etc) or simple want apps that are not available on the official catalog (we've 750+ Apps, vs the dozen in the official catalog).

But there are also inherent design differences: For example, Our App for Nextcloud is a LOT more performant, by having Redis and the High-Performance-Backend for files integrated into the App where official has not.

On top of that, without wanting to bash iX at all, our developers and support staff are actually basically available for issues 24/7 and often respond in less than 12 hours. Whereas iX, officially, is only available via Jira Tickets (though do respond on personal messages, the forums and discord from time-to-time, it's not always the case)

We never said we where a one-stop-shop for everyone and every usecase. But there are definately cases to be made for both catalogs ;-)
To be fair, as my choice was a server drawing less power so i have a T processor with tdp 35 watts , i hate that the catalog and the way IX implemented it kneels my server to crawl when refreshing catalogs and or restarting server. so I have tried Truecharts for those 2 apps, emby and nextcloud but could not find a reason to have the catalog atm, both of them have https working etc, for vpn i have my asus ax88u router that vpn's to my mac address to the server and can enable or disable whenever i want.
I respect all work and the catalog, and I am sure @ some point will come handy, just not now

Thank you!

Last edited:

sretalla