Reverse Proxy / Ingress For Custom Docker Based Web Applications on TureNAS SCALE

Zeshue

Cadet
I have two self-created websites that I currently host on a Synology NAS that I am trying to migrate to my new TrueNAS SCALE server. I've been able to get everything up and running through the dreaded "Launch Docker Image" button and going through a registered domain (which I have going through cloudflare as DNS only). The last thing I need to figure out before I fully migrate to the new server is how to create a reverse proxy to direct traffic to the right app based on subdomains. Synology has a reverse proxy built into the system, so it was fairly trivial to set it up there, but I've been struggling to find anything about how to do it on TrueNAS SCALE. Almost everything I've seen points to using the Traefik app provided by Truecharts to be used as an ingress for a different Truecharts app. Unfortunately they also state that they don't support any non-truecharts apps with it, and there's no clear way to use it for a custom web app like I am, so any help with how to set up a reverse proxy / ingress on SCALE for Docker apps would be appreciated!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Unfortunately they also state that they don't support any non-truecharts apps with it
It's fair that they don't provide support for apps other than theirs. However, they describe how to use Traefik to proxy the TrueNAS web UI itself, and the same procedure should be adaptable to pretty much any other service you'd want to use. See:
and:

truecharts

Guru
As @danb35 mentioned above, External-Services is the easiest option to use. We do have an alternative to the "Launch Docker Image" aka Big Blue Button with more options called Custom-App that has ingress and many of the options that TrueCharts apps use however it's not as simple as the default option included in TrueNAS SCALE. That option is aimed at more advanced users/those with experience with HELM charts but it may be worth it to check it out. If you have more questions please feel free to reach us on Discord, as you'll get a much quicker response from us, since we don't check the forums daily.

Zeshue

Cadet
It's fair that they don't provide support for apps other than theirs. However, they describe how to use Traefik to proxy the TrueNAS web UI itself, and the same procedure should be adaptable to pretty much any other service you'd want to use. See:
and:
Don't know how I didn't come across that when I was searching on my own, but that's exactly what I needed. Thank you so much!