Reset overprovisioning?

jenksdrummer

Patron
I thought I'd be smart and try overprovisioning an SSD, to which i want to remove that. I have a 240GB Intel SSD that by all accounts is showing up as a 200GB disk. This was set within FreeNAS/TrueNAS I think in version 10.

How do I go about resetting that?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
You may be able to do this from within TrueNAS - I admit I haven't tried in some time.

Here we go, it was done using camcontrol in this example:

You may need to use both the -P and -s switches when setting the HPA though to make this stick through a reboot.

Last edited:

jenksdrummer

Patron
Seems neither of those utilities (intelmas , hdparm) is on Truenas, so still likely I need to pull the drive and unmuck it.

Thank you for the info/lead though :)

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Seems neither of those utilities (intelmas , hdparm) is on Truenas, so still likely I need to pull the drive and unmuck it.

Thank you for the info/lead though :)
Just edited with a link to a camcontrol command. Try that first, but you'll likely need to power cycle the drive anyways.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
On TrueNAS Core (soon to be ported to SCALE) there is `disk_resize` script, wrapping bunch of tools to resize SATA, SAS and NVMe HDDs/SSDs to desired capacity. `disk_resize adaX` without capacity specification should return specified device to full capacity, if it is indeed over-provisioned, not produced that way by manufacturer to ensure wear resistance.

PS: The tool wipes the device, so be careful what you point it to.

jenksdrummer

Patron
On TrueNAS Core (soon to be ported to SCALE) there is `disk_resize` script, wrapping bunch of tools to resize SATA, SAS and NVMe HDDs/SSDs to desired capacity. `disk_resize adaX` without capacity specification should return specified device to full capacity, if it is indeed over-provisioned, not produced that way by manufacturer to ensure wear resistance.

PS: The tool wipes the device, so be careful what you point it to.
Worked like a CHAMP. Thank you!!!! :)