Pools/config gone after going from DHCP to static IP

icemule1

Dabbler
I'm new to network storage, and I decided to go with TrueNAS Scale in case I want to run VMs or do other cool stuff from it someday. However, I only use it for file storage at the moment. I like that it's free and that ZFS prevents bitrot.

I've been using it for a few weeks now and today I tried giving it a static IP. After setting my IP (with a /24 as it originally was under DHCP), when I tried going to the new IP it made me create a new password for root, I figured that was some routine thing, but now I see is because somehow my server config got completely reset because now I can't even see my pools and I'm having my first "freak out" moment and don't want to accidentally enter a bad command that makes me lose my data for good. Any suggestions on how I can get my setup/config back, and why did this happen?

Here's my setup:
Code:
HP Z420 Workstation Motherboard
8x8GB Micron DDR3 ECC 1800MHz memory
Intel Xeon E5 2660v2 10-core CPU
240GB Crucial SSD as boot drive
6x12TB WD Ultrastar DC HC520 hard drives set up as Z2 array (all connected to SATA ports on the motherboard)
Radeon HD7770 1GB graphics card for console access

icemule1

Dabbler
Also, I forgot to mention that I made the IP change from the console.

icemule1

Dabbler
How, exactly, did you make the IP change?
I'm an idiot. I just retraced my steps and realized I selected 8) Reset Configuration to Defaults. I must have thought it was only resetting the network configuration, not the entire TrueNAS configuration.

What's the best way to get my pools back? Do I just have to create a new pool then select the disks?

icemule1

Dabbler
Nevermind, I figured it out. I re-imported my pool, re-created users and SMB shares. Sorry for cluttering up the forums with this.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I selected 8) Reset Configuration to Defaults.
That would indeed do it, though I'd expect it to have warned you first. Manually recreating your settings is one way to recover from this, and perhaps the quickest if you don't have many shares/users. The other option would be to grab a backup of your config file (if you don't have any jobs of your own doing this, TrueNAS automatically stores daily backups in /var/db/system/) and upload it through the GUI, which would restore your system to the configuration it had as of that time.

icemule1

Dabbler
Is there anyway to increase the amount of automatic backups in /var/db/system/ to be more than only the past two days?