request -> How To: VirtualBox on FreeNAS Jail by xcom

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerWiesel

Dabbler
Hi

I just want to request to put the tutorial How To: VirtualBox on FreeNAS Jail by xcom back online :)

It is an awesome work and with a little help from xcom via PM it works well :D

Greetz
PowerWiesel

ringhut

Dabbler
I'm interested in it too:D:D

cyberjock

Inactive Account
We deleted it because the original guide had some major problems. We're reworking it so it works better. The original setup had the chance to seriously break FreeNAS, hence I removed it.

So standby. Don't ask when, I don't know. But I've already put 15 hours into it and it's still not working 100%.

Please stop with the PMs to various people trying to get it back. It'll be out when its out.

Update: Ok. So we're still working on the guide. Things are kind of out of control because you have to compile the .ko files from FreeNAS' source and in FreeNAS' environment(but not FreeNAS or it's jail.. haha!). MUCH easier said than done. Then, if you want to upgrade Virtualbox in the future you'll have to deal with a big nasty hairball that I choked on all evening. You have to have FreeNAS, a FreeNAS jail, plus a FreeBSD system to compile your .ko files to update anything(and even for initial installation in some cases). In short, it's something that is far out of the realm of a "guide".

I'm *trying* to figure out how to get this as a jail template. Virtualbox won't necessarily be upgradable, but that's the breaks.

I've spent 2 solid days on this now... as a volunteer I'm not sure how much more of this I really want to deal with. I recognize this is a red hot feature. But I see why when I asked the FreeNAS developers about it they said things like "oh my.." and "good luck!". It's a train wreck. It breaks if you want to update FreeNAS, the jail, or Virtualbox.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.