Addressing virtualbox machines on the same LAN as FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nskio

Cadet
Hi all.

I've got FreeNAS setup with a virtualbox jail. FreeNAS is at 192.168.1.2, and the vbox webmin is at 192.168.1.7. My network is 192.168.1.0/24, I'd like to be able to spin up machines in virtualbox and address them on the same network, i.e. new linux machine in virtualbox that I can address from my home network at 192.168.1.8. Right now, I can access the vbox machines via VNC and port number, but the IP is always the same as the virtualbox jail itself, which I thought was interesting.

I'm assuming this is pretty straightforward, but I'm not really sure how to start. Could anyone advise, or point me in the right direction? Thank you.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Of course. When you set up a virtual machine in the virtualbox web GUI, set its network interface to Bridged Interface. At that point, the VM will have a NIC on the same network as your FreeNAS box. How you get it an IP address is up to you, and will depend in part on the guest OS--you can either configure an IP address manually, or have it pick one up via DHCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.