VirtualBox 4.3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is VirtualBox 4.3.2 supported in FreeNAS?

The reason I ask, is that I tried to update a package in my VirtualBox Jail today, and a lot of disastrous things happened.

I tried to run

>pkg upgrade curl

at the jail's command line, and it ran away and started trying to upgrade a bunch of packages including apache2, php and virtualbox.

At the end of the process, the web interface to virtualbox was broken, and virtualbox itself seemed to be missing. At least typing VBoxManage on the command line gave a "not found" error.

I saved myself by making a new default virtualbox jail, and importing my vms from the old one.

However, I have a question. How should I be maintaining the jail?

I got a message from the security run of the jail saying that there were newer versions of apache2 and php, and I should upgrade. Should I upgrade? And how do I do it without breaking everything?

The virtualbox jail itself is completely stock. I created it using the template from the FreeNAS web interface, and did nothing else except import my vms.

Thanks.

Derek Tattersall

danb35

Hall of Famer
Do not do upgrades in the jail. The jail itself works just fine, but (as you've discovered) package upgrades will break it.

And isn't it 4.3.12, rather than 4.3.2? Still an older version by now, but not quite that old.

Right, it's 4.3.12 not 4.3.2. I just keep seeing these alarming security warnings about vulnerabilities in php and apache.

Should I ignore these?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Right, it's 4.3.12 not 4.3.2. I just keep seeing these alarming security warnings about vulnerabilities in php and apache.

Should I ignore these?

You can upgrade individual packages in the jail with pkg-ng. So you can resolve those easily, if you so desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.