VirtualBox SSH not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

X7JAY7X

Dabbler
I have VirtualBox setup but I want to do some administration using VBoxManage with the CLI. I can SSH to the VirtualBox Jail but I cannot login. I tried creating a new user per the documentation but I still cant login. I read that each Jail has its own users but how do I create a user in the VBox Jail if I cant SSH in to it?

Thanks

Neil Whitworth

Dabbler

danb35

Hall of Famer
To put @Neil Whitworth's (correct) remarks differently: you don't need to ssh into the VirtualBox jail at all. You can do everything by SSH to the server, jls, find your jail, jexec # tcsh (where # is the JID number that appears when you do jls). That will put you into a shell (tcsh in this example) inside your jail. If you then want to create users and/or configure SSH for the jail, you can do so, but there's no real need to do this.

As an alternative (though not one I'd particularly recommend), you can launch a shell for any jail through the web GUI. Go to the Jails screen in the web GUI, select the jail you want, then click the shell button at the bottom of the screen.

X7JAY7X

Dabbler
Thanks guys, I got it working. I just went in through the shell and didn't use SSH.

Status
Not open for further replies.