Repurpose old desktop as TrueNas Server - Hardware and setup thoughts?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Two small comments:

Regarding a faster NIC (assuming that means 10+ Gbps): With 2 HDD mirror vdevs you will not able to saturate your NIC, esp. since the max. transfer rates are only for sequential read/write. The latter are generally relatively rare and random I/O is typically orders of magnitude slower. So don't be disappointed (or go for SSDs).

Linux and Scale: Scale is based on Linux but still an appliance. You cannot install things that are missing like you would on a regular server.

NickF

Guru
I agree with @ChrisRJ

Don't bother. When you are ready to refresh and expand, just factor that into your new nas at that time.

As for the onboard SATA and Ethernet on your motherboard, don't trust them with your data on TN.

Broadcom BCM57781 is notoriously bad when compared to Intel, albeit not as bad as Realtek crab(p). ASMedia ASM1061 is garbage. It's worth spending money on the basics first for the sake of stability. Then you can save money to get more speed.

bigdonk

Dabbler
I agree with @ChrisRJ

Don't bother. When you are ready to refresh and expand, just factor that into your new nas at that time.

As for the onboard SATA and Ethernet on your motherboard, don't trust them with your data on TN.

Broadcom BCM57781 is notoriously bad when compared to Intel, albeit not as bad as Realtek crab(p). ASMedia ASM1061 is garbage. It's worth spending money on the basics first for the sake of stability. Then you can save money to get more speed.
Would this apply to 2.5Gbps as well? I learned earlier in this discussion that for my setup 10Gbps isn't worth the investment. I was more wondering if going 2.5Gbps would be worth it or not.

I am only going to be testing with the 2 drives with ZERO important data for a very short time just to get my feet wet so the NIC and SATA will do until I get a little comfortable with what I am doing over the next couple weeks. This puts my only investment in 2 drives which I will use no matter what solution I go with in the end. I can buy the controller and NIC after this so called couple week trial phase or maybe even come across a deal I can't refuse on a used server. I had seen the Realtek information, but wasn't aware Broadcom isn't much better. Then again, I have seen "only" Intel many times so I should have been aware...

Out of curiosity, what would one expect to spend on a used server suitable for my small home server setup.

NickF

Guru
2.5 Gigabit is still a mixed bag. i225v support is lackluster at best, part of the problem being that there are actually 3 versions of that silicon. Not to mention it's really been designed to be a client NIC anyway. Getting a Non-Fake i350 is the best option IMO, but an i210 is probably more than adequate for your systems needs.

Get known-good stable stuff to augment what you already have, but don't go hogwild chasing features that likely wont matter given the pool topology planned.

What @NickF said is solid advice, get inexpensive reliable hardware running and stable. When a bottleneck happens you'll then have a good idea how to solve it with minimal additional investment, and the experience to do so.

Said differently, don't fight ghosts you haven't yet encountered.

bigdonk

Dabbler
OK, I was able to get SCALE setup and running over the weekend. I had some time to play with it and it all seemed to go pretty well.

Should I continue to post questions here or start a new post since this is meant for hardware?

I would use the Search feature first, and read more of the Resources. They'll keep you out of trouble until you want to do something unsupported. At that point have your build in your signature and ask questions in the proper forum, you'll get better responses and those replies will help others like yourself down the road.