SOLVED Report Missing 1 disk

jlpellet

Patron
Since 13.0 U2 (may be earlier - did not notice til then - on 1 of my 5 TrueNAS Core systems, 1 disk (ada2) does not show up in reports, regardless of the parameter selected. It shows up in all other views (GUI>Storage>Disks or shell>zpool status). Behavior survives reboot ro U2 & U3. All pool disks are 1TB SSD (3 different mfg). Seems odd but not a major issue. Any suggestions/ideas apppreciated. Have attached .pdf or screen captures showing issue.

Thanks
John

Attachments

• report-missing disk.pdf
    147.5 KB · Views: 81

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What happens if you export and then re-import the pool? (Making sure NOT to erase the disks obviously)

joeschmuck

Old Man
That is very odd behaviour. ada2 is part of the pool and is working but just doesn't show up the reports. Strange.

Nothing in the log files?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
ada2 is part of the pool and is working but just doesn't show up the reports. Strange.

I'm thinking it may be a row missing from a database table, which if I recall correctly would be resolved by the export/import I suggested.

jlpellet

Patron
Thanks for the ideas. Export/reboor/import pool did NOT change behavior I've attached the log report from the last boot but I see nothing odd. Again, ada2 is visible in the pool & the pool seems to be working normally. A scrub produces no errors with pool heathly. Only thing I've thought to try is intalling last 12 & 13.0U3 from scratch but have not done so - seems a lot of work for the possible benefit. FYI, I use disk temp report weekly trend as a precursor to problem (e.g., airflow or disk issues). FYI, my other systems used older CPU (i3) & spinning rust for data pools. This is the only 1 using SSDs for data pool. The ada2 SSD is a Team brand but so are some of the other drives in the pool that don't have the problem.

Thanks,
John

Attachments

• hs0.txt
    18.6 KB · Views: 66

joeschmuck

Old Man
Only thing I've thought to try is intalling last 12 & 13.0U3 from scratch but have not done
That is what I'm thinking as well. Save off a copy of your configuration file first, of course. And it shouldn't be that much effort in reality, 15 minutes and you should know if it's working or not.

jlpellet

Patron
In follow up, I freash-installed last 12 & imported pool with the same result - i.e., ada2 report of disk temp is blank (no graph at all). Now here is the wierd part, I just noted - all other parameters reported for ada2 show up & are normal. I think it likely this is a specific claw in the SSD firmware, even thought other SSD's from the same vendor, acquired at the same time, show expected behavior. Thanks for the help but guess this is just wierdness encountered with bargain-bin drives, especially SSD.

John

joeschmuck

Old Man
Here is something else you can try... Shut down the machine, swap the drive SATA data cables between drives ada2 (Serial Number TPBF2010130020400532) and drive ada3 (Serial Number TPBF2010130020400532). Power back on. Did drive S/N TPBF2010130020400532 still fail to show up? It may or maynot be identified as ada2 which is why you need to use the serial numbers.

If you think it's something to do with the SMART data, why don't you post the output of smartctl -x /dev/ada2 before swapping the SATA Data Cables around. Maybe we can see something odd. You might need to submit a request to the folks who manage smartctl to include the specific drive.

jlpellet

Patron
I s/d, swapped the SATA cables, & booted. Now ALL drives show up in report temperature tab (i.e. missing temp report now shows but so do other 5 SSD's). No idea why the cable swap produced this result. BTW, I did run smartctl on ada1 & 2 in the original condition but no differences were apparent. Thanks for the help.
John

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad this worked. You know what you need to do now, put the cables back to the original locations and see if the problem comes back. You don't really have to do that but if you do, I'm curious if the problem remains cleared or comes back. If it comes back, maybe replace the SATA cable for the suspect drive, but that is one weird failure.