{repo} could not be reached, please check your DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalfR

Dabbler
Hi Everyone,

Running FreeNAS 11 with the new GUI. Whenever I try to install a plugin, after a while I get the following error:

{repo} could not be reached, please check your DNS

Any idea? When I log into the FreeNAS host, internet connectivity works fine.

zazza

Dabbler
what you describe, is my exact problem. I hope to get some help also. Even thought it says "{repo} could not be reached, please check your DNS" I still see they are in the Jail section.

Thank you

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Are you manually assigning an IP address or installing via DHCP? This same behavior exists in the most current nightly when trying to assign a static IP at plugin creation. Installing with DHCP works.

nahjil

Cadet
I'm getting the same error. I am able to resolve domain names from the shell and I have been installing via DHCP. A jail is being created and then I get this error. I've tried switching to the legacy UI and none of the Plugins come up at all as available to install.

thxtex

Dabbler
Are any of you by any chance using 1.1.1.1 as DNS? I had the exact problem {repo} could not be reached, please check your DNS

Changing the DNS to Google DNS 8.8.8.8 in my ROUTER solved the issue. I use the tuneables that are mentioned elsewhere.

Edit: Hmmmm, testing this a bit more didn't solve the issue...... Sorry...

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
You need the tunables fix

strangelove

Dabbler
Try setting these two tunables under System > Tunables:

Variable: cloned_interfaces, Value: bridge0, Type: rc.conf
Variable: ifconfig_bridge0, Value: addm igb0 up, Type: rc.conf

Note igb0 might be different in your setup. You can find the correct network interface by running ifconfig.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Yep that's the one, thanks. Sorry I was busy when I posted and couldn't find it for him

shaitand

Cadet
Having this same issue but tunables isn't working. I assume "the correct network interface" from ifconfig would be the lagg0 interface that is homed on the correct subnet and other threads seem to suggest what we are doing here is creating a bridge interface which should include both the jail bridge0 and that interface but I continue to get the error above. Creating with DHCP does seem to work but subsequently adjusting to a static entry causes it to no longer create a second interface within the vm and therefore it doesn't bind that interface.

ajschot

Patron
Try setting these two tunables under System > Tunables:

Variable: cloned_interfaces, Value: bridge0, Type: rc.conf
Variable: ifconfig_bridge0, Value: addm igb0 up, Type: rc.conf

Note igb0 might be different in your setup. You can find the correct network interface by running ifconfig.
Did not work for me :-(
Added the vmx0 instead of igb0 but does not work gives me still the same DNS error

shaitand

Cadet
Are you manually assigning an IP address or installing via DHCP? This same behavior exists in the most current nightly when trying to assign a static IP at plugin creation. Installing with DHCP works.

Yes, I also see this same behavior on plugin creation. If you create as DHCP and then adjust the jail configuration it works. I'm surprised this major bug has been outstanding for so long given that new plugin/jails scheme seems to be the biggest focus of the new release.

ajschot

Patron
Yes, I also see this same behavior on plugin creation. If you create as DHCP and then adjust the jail configuration it works. I'm surprised this major bug has been outstanding for so long given that new plugin/jails scheme seems to be the biggest focus of the new release.
For me auto dhcp does not work either... have no idea what could be the problem.... just gave up and keep on using the old jails. Also tried docker, but i can not install docker too...

Status
Not open for further replies.