Replication but no files cloned

a13519

Cadet
I am trying to backup my pool to another disk locally, but no real files copied.

FreeNAS: FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1
Source Pool: PinkPlanet, it's local pool
Destination Pool: PurpleTank, there is no space issue in the pool and it is a local pool associated

Steps:
Code:
zfs snapshot -r PinkPlanet@PP5
zfs send  PinkPlanet@PP5 | zfs receive -F PurpleTank

those 2 commands were executed in second, but no real files copied on PurpleTank.

Anybody know why?

a13519

Cadet
tried:

zfs send -R PinkPlanet@PP5 | zfs receive -F PurpleTank

There is no any error message prompted and by command: zfs list PurpleTank
I saw there are 200+G space is used, but there are only directories are created but no any real files. What's a case, any clue?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Replication doesn't imply immediate mounting of the pool on the receiving side.

You may want to look at zfs mount

You shouldn't need to use the Force switch on the recv.

a13519

Cadet
but the pool is mounted all the time, I didn't implicitly unmount it during the process.

Apollo

Wizard
but the pool is mounted all the time, I didn't implicitly unmount it during the process.
The pool is probably mounted, but upon replication, Web GUI may nor show the various dataset mounted. For that either you detach and reattach the volume or you restart Freenas.

How did you run the replication task? Via CLI? If so, you want to use "screen" in order to retain the replication process after closing the CLI terminal.

Han Sooloo

Dabbler
Ran into the same experience with 2 servers. The destination server seems to be receiving the dataset (lots of network and zfs IO), but it doesn't get mounted.
As a UX enhancement, it could be a good idea to at least give the user the option to mount the datasets on the destination. For the uninitiated, it feels like "oh my god, where did my data go, why can't I see it!"